[This is good]: Just What is the Mysterious FilePile.org Website All About?

No, not the moribund Filepile.com, we’re talking about the very secretive, very active Filepile.org. If you mention the name of their URL, some of these secretive people just might come after you, as Laura K. discovered:

“Now I’m receiving nasty emails from this filepile crew. Apparently I had the audacity to mention their secret sandbox in public and it made them cry.”

What does the site look like? How about this (minus the kitteh)? Or this screenshot from when they “went spooky” last Halloween:

image001.jpg

These thousands of Filepilers might practically control the Internets and yet some of them claim they’re “not notable”? It seems Anil Dash got close to the truth while ago, but can we rely on what he says? Many private organizations have Wiki entries, but not Filepile.org. Why’s that?

[Update: A certain Mr. Jacob I. has offered to hand over a valid user name and password for filepile but only in person and at some hard-to-find street in Burlingame (of all places). Frank says he has plenty of gas and he’s sure he can find the place, so we’re heading down there now. Wish us luck!]

[ReUpdate: Well we never found that place in San Mateo County. The address didn’t show up on Google Maps and the directions we had wound us up at McGraw’s Grocery. Frank said the whole deal was a “bum steer.” Man,  looks like it’s going to be tough to get a password. Oh well. We made the best of it by having dinner at Joanie’s “Happy Days” Diner (did ABC license this name?) and then ended up at the loungey Vinyl Room. B’Game rocks! (but “JacobY” sucks :(). Frank said the FPers would probably launch a “Dawes’ Attack” to take down my “crappy little WordPress.” But let’s worry about that tomorrow!] [Maltese Falcon references=OFF]

[Captain’s Log, supplemental: So Filepile.org could be described as a cross between Digg and craigslist. You have an old-school interface (like craigslist) that shows interesting links, but there’s also a rating system (like Digg) that allows users to easily get to the good stuff. Self-policing serves to prevent too much snooping from the RIAA or the (American) Feds. Filepile.org has perhaps 10,000 accountholders with a few thousand especially active members. The reason why evidence of such an active site doesn’t show up anywhere, is that filepile.org rejects robots crawling all over it, which is fair enough. The reason why they don’t have a Wikipedia entry is that FPers will sign up for a Wiki account just to say how FP shouldn’t be on the Wiki. Mystery solved. Carry on, my wayward sons (you got to wait for the good part, just like on this one)]

Domo arigatou (Mr. Roboto)
Mata o-hima de
Domo arigatou (Mr. Roboto)
Himitsu wo shiritai

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “[This is good]: Just What is the Mysterious FilePile.org Website All About?”

1. Why worry about some guys who are obsessed with kittens? Check out Pheltup.com for a site where real things are happening, and not just piles of files.

2. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Haha. Boy that Canadian lady sure pwned us, heh?

3. giggles says:

the screenshot you posted is LOLNOT HALLOWEEN, if you have a mac just press CTRL, OPTION, COMMAND + 8. LOLOLOL. secret websites, wtf.

4. jandevries says:

Fuck you filepile I post a few mp3′s and you stupid bitches act like it’s the end of the fucking world. Go outside and get some fresh air and maybe you can get back to your stupid bullshit and sucking each other’s cocks. You like that don’t you filepile cocksuckers? Well fuck all of you. Vote bad. like I give a shit. Fuckers.

Wow, tell us how you really feel!

Sorry about the comment editing, it’s tough to tell what’s spam and what’s not. All non-spam comments cheerfully restored 100%. Including the naughty language.

I’ll tell my grandmother to stay off this entry.

Posting an MP3 with a questionable provenance can get you kicked off of filepile, it appears. That kind of self-policing will keep the RIAA and the authorities off of FP’s back, right?

6. File Pile User says:

The first rule of file pile is,

7. Mario Dinis says:

This is bad.

8. Afei says:

Winston Churchill referred to File Pile as “a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.” We may never know the truth.

9. Fresh Guy says:

[this is good]

10. Risk Astley says:

Nothing to see here, move along.

11. Mario Dinis says:

My sister says Hello. We fuck!

12. D says:

We are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. We don’t exist; we were never even born. Anonymity is our name, silence our native tongue. We’re no longer part of the System. We’re above the System. Over it. Beyond it. We are “them.” We are “they.”

13. laura k says:

You’re quoting a post of mine that’s about 1.5 years old. Now Filepilers are coming over to tell me I’m exaggerating. Oy. Filepile: just leave me alone and I’ll leave you alone, ‘k?

Yep, 1.5 years old. I see one commment a purported FPer made. Hopefully, they’ll respect your wishes.

I would tell them myself, but it appears I’ve missed my chance to get a password. Oh well.

Ask me to unlink you and I will unlink you.

15. laura k says:

No problem linking, that’s cool. Enjoy.

16. Please Keep Private says:

These assholes are more powerful than I thought. They wont come after you, but if you cross them, they will maek your life hell online and offline. I think their the first internet based secret society.

ALSO, I happen to know that they order a large number of horse head masks but I dont know what the end up using them for. Some sort of ritual?

The prior commenter, “Please Keep Private”, is an FPer.

Not sure who tried to register here: http://file-pile.org/register.php?code=ZXhN8uD_hK1HjmdrDHEA but perhaps the filepilers are making that person’s online or offline life a “living hell.”

Seems doubtful

18. Hot Sandwich says:

[this might be offensive]

19. knutmo says:

#DUTCH!

20. wholphin917 says:

This file pile is an illuminati disinfo site. Several of its notable known members are Biderberg operatives. Investigation into its operations or activities isn’t necessarily a bad idea, but will inevitably prove fruitless, i.e., they don’t mind questions being asked, but are far too clever to have left any openings for answers. These are the people you’ll be selling your gold to, at bottom-bucket rates, after the ascendancy of paperless Amero-based financial transactions has swept the meta national cartels into power.

21. froni says:

I hear they wear fezzes and video chat a lot.