Memorial for Fallen San Francisco Pedestrian Melissa Dennison Continues to Grow

It appears as if somebody threw away the flowers at Fell and Broderick yesterday morning - they were placed there as a memorial for fallen San Francisco pedestrian Melissa Dennison. But tons more were added throughout the day.

And this was the scene last night. The intersection smelled like a florist’s shop:

IMG_6463 copy

People were reading reports from the Examiner and KTVU-TV.

At this point it’s not really clear how this quote from the ‘Xam…

State law dictates that an intersection doesn’t need to marked to be considered a crosswalk.”

…is useful since all the crosswalks in the area are marked.

We’ll have to wait to see if the office of Kamala Harris will charge the driver…

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Memorial for Fallen San Francisco Pedestrian Melissa Dennison Continues to Grow”

1. poniboy says:

I think that it’s important to take into perspective that this girl was pulled over and arrested TWICE last year for DWI, perhaps it’s not the drivers fault!

2. JD says:

I think the unmarked crosswalk was probably mentioned in passing by Manish Champsee (head of pedestrian advocacy group Walk SF) when being interviewed by the reporter. The reporter may not have known whether it applied to this case so put it in. Manish does know the crosswalks are marked, because he’s dealt with pedestrian issues in the neighborhhood. He probably mentioned it because the reporter brought it up. Often when pedestrians are in an unmarked crosswalk they are treated as if they are jaywalking by drivers who are unfamiliar with the Calif vehicle code- sometimes they speed up to “teach you a lesson”.

3. Dee says:

It is a wakeup call for both drivers and pedestrians to be more aware.

poniboy, don’t you think it is pretty harsh to bring up the victims wrong doings at a time like this?

4. Paije says:

Melissa was one of my best friends in the entire world & since her DUI last year she has been CLEAN & SOBER. She was the most beautiful, kind, amazing person I know and I met her in the rooms of AA. So if you think “it’s important to consider” her DUI, think again and fuck off.

5. Larry says:

Paije – regardless if she was your friend or not, she still had TWO DWIs. Not one, but TWO. Those are the facts.

Grow up.

6. LB says:

Since when did having DUI(s) make your life any less valuable, especially if you’re trying your best to change your behavior. Larry, you disgust me.

7. Larry says:

LB, no one is saying anyone’s life is less valuable – except for you. She had TWO DWIs – those are the facts.

8. Lara says:

Unless you knew Melissa personally you have no say in the matter of value of a life OR her past convictions. This is NOT about DUI’s or DWI’s she had in the past. This is about a life cut short and it was a terrible tragedy. Soiling her name, bringing up her past is disgraceful and you should be ashamed of your self. You would have been proud to know Melissa Dennison. She was a bright, beautiful, wonderful woman and she will be missed.

9. Jeremy says:

Melissa was a wonderful person and I am grateful to have known her. The sunshine filled day we rode across the GG bridge and watched the airshow in the Marina will always be the light in which I’ll remember you.

No one here knows the exact circumstances of the incident. But I can’t believe anyone would bring up a previous instance of DUI to use in defense of the driver, or as a justification for her death. The ‘Fact’ of the matter is that roads and intersections are inherently dangerous. Pedestrians and motorist both need to be mindful of the complex situations that arise in the city.

My sincere condolences to Melissa’s family and her friends.

10. Jeremy says:

And Larry… for the record I received a ticket for drinking under age 10 years ago. So if I’m involved in a tragedy… there you go. Now you have a reason to write it off.

11. Stuart says:

Larry, How dare you! Anyone can seach the internet and post “the facts”. Those facts serve no relevence in this terrible accident. I am part of her family and can give you plenty of positive facts that you can’t dig up in some simple google search. You DO NOT know her real past and what walk of life she came from. Her positive attitude and beautiful smile was an inspiration to everyone that met her and would always brighten the day. To post a comment about “the facts’ is so low and cheap, I am at a loss for words. If you had the real facts maybe you wouldn’t post such a stupid and rude comment. maybe you can give us your full name so we can post “the facts” on you.
    Get a life and piss off.

12. LD says:

Everyone makes mistakes in their life, but at the end it seems most respectful to remember the positive contributions one made while on earth. I didn’t know Melissa well; she was a close friend of my daughter’s. The little I did know of her was extraordinary. She had been dealt a hand full of some very big challenges. When this terrible tragedy occurred that ended Melissa’s life, she was in a good space and doing very well. I want her to be remembered that way – having pulled herself into a space that was working well for her. I know my daughter feels Melissa’s loss deeply. No matter how you look at it, this is a horrible thing that occurred which cannot be mimimized in any way.

13. AM says:

It is obvious that Larry and poniboy know the person who hit her. They have been posting comments on every page. They have no respect what so ever. I feel sorry for them because they obviously have more issues than anyone.

Rest in peace Melissa. You have touched so many lives and never once judged anyone for their actions. If only other people could do the same.

14. Anne says:

I feel for the young woman who lost her life. The police at the scene say all witnesses state that Ms. Dennison was walking against her light. She had a red light and clearly needed to wait for a green light and not jay-walk in the dark. Especially on a main road such as Fell Street. I am glad she decided to finally get so called clean and sober after her SECOND DUI (and the BAC was well over .03 in both cases!), however she easily could have killed someone when she was driving wasted. My father was killed by a worthless drunk driver 4 years ago. If you drive drunk you make a conscious decision to disregard human life. Interesting. May she rest in peace.