Today is the the Day MUNI is Eliminating Bus Stops on the 21 Hayes Bus Line

They call it Bus Stop Consolidation and it’s happening right now this morning on the #21 Hayes line. A crew comes along and the next thing you know, your favorite bus shelter is rolling down the street and into oblivion.

But amazingly, this block will still have one stop left (after losing two!) and then there are other stops close by. It’s sort of ridiculous to have one or two (on the same side of the street!) stops on every block, right?

IMG_9675 copy

Hurray!

Thanks, MUNI. (Seriously.)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Today is the the Day MUNI is Eliminating Bus Stops on the 21 Hayes Bus Line”

1. Erik says:

Faster bus rides are good.

2. Whit says:

Wait: this is Hayes and Ashbury, right? It’s the other side that had two in the same block and the one that’s staying is the one at Masonic.

The stupid thing is they’re taking out the wrong stops, the ones by the business centers (Hayes/Ashbury and Hayes/Cole) and leaving the more residential ones (Shrader and Clayton).

3. Belgand says:

I’ve often thought this needed to be done because, yeah, why does it have to stop at both ends of every block? Removing half of them would still only mean that someone has to walk, at most, one block.

I sure hope they don’t remove the one in front of my house though. The plans they posted a few months back were surprisingly hard to understand.

At least I didn’t get a ticket when, after parking on Sunday night, I came by on Tuesday afternoon to find that my perfectly legal, Wednesday street cleaning space was suddenly rezoned as a red, no parking any time bus zone.

Let’s just hope that they manage to shift the excess bus shelters around so that every stop now has a shelter.

4. Belgand says:

Actually, looking things over they’ve ridiculously over consolidated. I just thought it was a bit silly to have stops on Fulton, Stanyan, Shrader, Cole, Clayton, Ashbury, and Masonic (i.e. every block), but now they’ve eliminated four of those. Not only is my block gone, but so are all the blocks around me. Having to walk all the way out to Masonic or walk to the end of Hayes and then trek up the hill another two blocks to Fulton is ludicrous. Not to mention eliminating every stop between Masonic and Divisadero.

The only thing this is going to do is drive more traffic over to the 5-Fulton by the majority of people currently served by the 21.

It was nice to have a stop across the street from me, but I was willing to walk a block if they were cutting the line in half because it would improve service. Instead they’ve just gutted the line down to only six or seven stops (even less when they finally get rid of the Fulton stops currently listed).

5. Whit says:

I agree that those 8 1/2 x 11 posters were hard to read and understand, and now, you can’t find any details online at the SFMTA site about which stops have been eliminated/moved. Belgand, they’re only supposed to remove the Ashbury and Cole stops; not all of them. And they can’t be cutting EVERY stop between Masonic and Divis.

6. Whit says:

And to clarify, you had said, “I just thought it was a bit silly to have stops on Fulton, Stanyan, Shrader, Cole, Clayton, Ashbury, and Masonic (i.e. every block), but now they’ve eliminated four of those. Not only is my block gone, but so are all the blocks around me. Having to walk all the way out to Masonic or walk to the end of Hayes and then trek up the hill another two blocks to Fulton is ludicrous.”

This reads like you infer they’re removing all of the stops along Hayes. There should be a Stanyan/Shrader stop, a Clayton stop, and a Masonic stop. You shouldn’t have to walk all the way to Fulton or Masonic to catch a 21.

7. Belgand says:

Ah, well, that wouldn’t be quite so bad (though I live at Hayes/Cole so that kinda sucks), but it’s like pulling teeth to get stops out of Muni. I followed the link above to the SFMTA page but, of course, there’s no actual useful information there so they send me on to 511 to get the actual schedule and unless it’s been horribly condensed (which I now suspect might be the case) they only list Masonic and Divisadero. I was wondering why it still listed the stops on Fulton. As always the hardest information to get from Muni is the most important: where does the bus stop?

Still this is fairly typical for Muni by providing very little information on something that greatly impacts people. It’s not listed anywhere as part of the changes coming Dec. 5 and while they put up posters and I got another one in my mailbox they read more like planning documents than anything else. It’s nice to have that information, but simply stating that they’re removing stops at certain intersections and installing ones at other intersections would have been a lot more useful rather than listing how many feet of striping they were adding/removing along the curb.

I also have to agree — and not just for personal reasons — that it makes a lot more sense to keep Hayes/Ashbury and Hayes/Cole. The reason I think they’re going with this route is because it changes it to be every other block and they wanted to retain Masonic (and the transfer to the 43-Masonic) and Shrader. I’m not certain what that means for the section east of Masonic though as Divisadero is certain to be kept, but it’s an odd number of blocks between Masonic and Divisadero.

If they really removed as many as I was thinking there really wouldn’t be any point in retaining the 21. For a large number of people along the route it would be roughly the same distance as walking to the 5 or the 71. The 21 has often seemed like a bit of an odd choice for a bus route, but it carries enough commuter traffic to make sense. Then again, this is the same Muni who thinks that the Haight doesn’t deserve the 7 (and not just for commute hours) and should be required to share the 71 with the entire Sunset.

8. John says:

Yeah, who cares about the people with disabilities.
    At least they don’t live in Los Angeles right?……

9. Belgand says:

Disabled or not the recent changes really don’t seem to be a problem. If it’s as stated they changed things so that there aren’t stops on each end of a block, but only one. Before the most you had to walk was half a block, now it’s just one (short) block. Not really a big problem.

10. Belgand says:

I actually noticed today that aside from being residential stops rather than ones with at least scant commercial options they also took out the only shelters that existed along the stretch between Masonic and Stanyan. Shrader has a shelter for outbound traffic, but since the end of the line is moving to about a block away that will now be useless. Instead the only stops that actually had shelters for both inbound and outbound traffic were at Cole and Ashbury. Way to go Muni, you spent our money to actually remove value from the line. Even if NextBus was often wildly inaccurate it was at least nice to have it there.

I seriously doubt we’ll be getting any new shelters either. Muni can’t even be bothered to use signs instead of those cheap and tacky looking stripes of paint and sometimes we don’t even get those to signal a stop.

True, there are a lot of big problems with Muni, things that would cost a lot of money to fix and probably require a massive overhaul of the city (e.g. we need to have a proper subway for the entire city, not buses, not light rail, and not BRT), but the fact that they also tend to fail at even the little things always makes me feel like they really can’t be bothered. Stop consolidation on Hayes was a great idea and I apparently wasn’t the only person wondering why it had to make so many stops, but the manner in which they conducted it and in which they failed at properly communicating information about it shows that they really just don’t care about us.