Combining our twin obsessions of food and money, it’s Baker & Banker! And they’re all set to serve up steak, cast-iron potatoes and more starting this week (probably tomorrow, December 1, 2009) at 1701 Octavia betwixt Bush and Pine.
Will our Quince replacement get along well with its NIMBY-ish neighbors in this residential hood? We Can Only Hope.
As it looked a few weeks back:
“As you’ll recall, Jeff Banker (of Home fame) and his wife Lori Baker are opening a new American, “welcoming neighborhood restaurant” there, and lo and behold, it’s coming along quite nicely. Notable designer Michael Brennan has spruced up the cozy interior with some dark leather banquettes and a dark wood bar…”
The aforementioned Baker and Banker:
More details, after the jump.
Bon courage, B&B!
- Baker and Banker is neighborhood restaurant serving market-driven New American cuisine. All ingredients are sourced from local farms and purveyors that use organic and humane practices. Pastry chef Lori Baker and her husband, chef Jeff Banker offer a constantly changing menu. All breads, pastas, ice creams and other menu items are made from scratch each day. Wine director Collin Casey offers a thoughtful wine menu which reflects his interest if food-friendly, naturally produced wines from sustainably grown grapes. Designer Michael Brennan has created an interior that is warm and welcoming. We have a small wine bar and offer between 16-20 wines by the glass each night. Half of our tables will be held each night for customers who do not have a reservation.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Californian
- Neighborhood: Pacific Heights
- Cross Street: Bush Street
- Price: $31 to $50
- Website: http://www.bakerandbanker.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (415) 321-2500
- Hours of Operation: Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Executive Chef: Jeff Banker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: 2,3,4 muni lines,Post and Octavia 1 muni line, Sacramento and Octavia
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
Banker’s opening menuis subject to change but may include Cauliflower Soup with Vadouvan Curry and Toasted Local Almonds; Dungeness Crab Salad with Satsuma Mandarin, Watermelon Radish, Olio Nuovo, and Housemade Black Sesame Cracker; Star Route Mixed Lettuces with Fuyu Persimmons, Local Chèvre, and Pomegranate Molasses Vinaigrette; Fall Vegetable and Shiso Leaf Tempura with Spicy Japanese Mayonnaise Dip; House Smoked Trout with Celery Root Latke, Horseradish Crème Fraîche, Pickled Beets and Shaved Fennel; Paine Squab and Crushed Liver Crostini with Arugula, Apples and Villa Manadori Balsamic; Musquee deProvence, Pumpkin Raviolis with Chestnut, Brown Butter, Crispy Sage and Saba; Striped Bass, Spanish Chorizo with Cockles, Bouillabaisse Broth, and Meyer Lemon Aioli; Dayboat Scallops with Caramelized Sun Choke Puree, Brussels Sprout and Asian Pear Salad and Hazelnuts; Seared Liberty Duck Breast, Duck Leg with Sweet Potato Hash, Swiss Chard and Star Anise-Port Sauce; Grilled Hanger Steak with Red Wine-Marrow Butter, Cast Iron Potato Gratin and Sautéed Spinach; Braised Ponzi Farm Lamb Stew with Crunchy Lamb Sweetbreads, Anson Mills Polentaand Salsa Verde.Baker and Banker Due Dec. 1 with Revised Menu — Grub Street San Francisco http://sanfrancisco.grubstreet.com/2009/11/baker_and_banker_due_dec_1_wit.html#ixzz0YMd4Oscl
Baker’s opening dessert menuincludes Pumpkin Cobbler with Cinnamon Brittle Ice Cream; Braeburn Apple Crisp Cheesecake with Balsamic Caramel; White Chocolate-Cranberry Pecan Pie with Cranberry Swirl Ice Cream; Huckleberry Brown Butter Tart with Whipped Crème Fraîche; Peanut Butter Caramel Fudge Brownie with Roasted Banana Ice Cream and Salted Peanut Brittle; Vanilla Poached Pear Sorbet with Lavender Shortbread.
Housemade Breadswill change daily and include Honey Whole Wheat, Soft Potato Rolls, Herbed Focaccia, Molasses Cornmeal, Challah and Buttermilk Herb.
Tags: +3, 1, 1701 octavia, 2, 2009, 4, American, baker, Baker & Banker, baker and banker, banker, bar, bus, bush, Collin Casey, contemporary, Cuisine, december, Designer, director, home, japantown, jeff banker, lori baker, market-driven, meetinghouse, michael brennan, Muni, New American, nimby, nimbys, octavia, open table, opening, pac heights, pacific heights, pine, quince, reservations, restaurant, San Francisco, wine, yelp