It felt like a quick initial jolt followed up by three seconds of shaking to those of us in San Francisco. See what people thought about the latest rumblings of our San Andreas Fault over at SFist.com.

The updated report from the USGS indicates a 4.2 near the city of Milpitas.

Right here, “A” marks the spot:

A light earthquake occurred at 10:09:35 AM (PST) on Thursday, January 7, 2010.
The magnitude 4.2 event occurred 10 km (6 miles) ENE of Milpitas, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 9 km ( 6 miles).

Magnitude 4.2 – local magnitude (ML)
Time Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 10:09:35 AM (PST)
Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 18:09:35 (UTC)
Distance from Milpitas, CA – 10 km (6 miles) ENE (62 degrees)
Alum Rock, CA – 12 km (8 miles) NNE (12 degrees)
Sunol, CA – 16 km (10 miles) SSE (150 degrees)
San Jose City Hall, CA – 17 km (11 miles) NNE (29 degrees)
Coordinates 37 deg. 28.6 min. N (37.477N), 121 deg. 47.8 min. W (121.797W)
Depth 9 km (5.6 miles)
Location Quality Excellent
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 89, Nph= 89, Dmin=3 km, Rmss=0.08 sec, Erho=0.1 km, Erzz=0.4 km, Gp=36 degrees
Event ID# nc71336726
Additional Information map with fault names
Google Earth KML (Requires Google Earth.)
ShakeMap shaking intensity maps
NCSS First Motion Mechanism 1

As per usual, t’was the Northern Calaveras (it means “skulls”) branch of the San Andreas. Alum Rock, will you ever win?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “A Moderate Earthquake Just Hit San Francisco – Thursday, January 7th 2010 at 10:09 AM”

1. Mi says:

i felt that earthquake~i thought i was dreaming

2. Johnny says:

Naturally I missed it because the building I work in allows me to feel everyones movement. I love earthquakes and am bummed I missed a 4.2 in Santa Clara!

3. YummyGoddess says:

I felt it. It startled me at first. But then I just started to ignore it. Then my daughter snuch up behind me and scared the crap out of me. That’s what made it bad.

4. keith m says:

i was out in the backyard with the dog sitting down when i felt dizzy. there were numerous birds singing in the trees. at that time all the birds flew away.

pinole, california

5. Gulla Baccha says:

I was in my car, stopped on my driveway. The car started rocking. I thought my daughter in the backseat was doing something.

6. David N says:

I felt it, in Sonoma County, my office is on the second floor of a wood frame house…gentle shaking for enough time to recognize it…that old familiar California feeling.

7. Mohamed S says:

I agree, as I was in a meeting at the time with my team in bay area and redwood city and they really felt it!!! I was surprised when all at once say oooooohhhhhhhhh !!!!!

8. Asma says:

Oh God,

This is the first time i felt the earth quake as im from india it is not usual there. I was so scared.