Elements of our Bay Area News Project, that grand alliance of old money and young blood, recently headed across the Bay Bridge to meet up with the kids from the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism

This meet-and-greet happened a couple of weeks back but the BANP is crowing about it today, so head over and check it out, why don’t you?

Look, it’s brand-new BANP EIC Jonathan Weber and CEO Lisa Frazier at North Gate Hall sharing a few brewskis with the J students:

TwitPic via jrue, aka Jeremy Rue, multimedia training instructor for the Knight Digital Media Center and a lecturer for the Carnegie-Knight program News21

Do you fret over* these students becoming “slaves” or something? You may be richer and older than they, but they’re smarter than you - try to keep that in mind when pondering such matters. These 20-somethings will do fine - they’ll manage to get by, with or without the BANP.

Bon courage, BANP et etudiants.

*Absence of pay-wall duly noted. Isn’t it ironic, dont’cha think?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Bay Area News Project Meets the Students from the Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism”

1. Katie says:

“This is not local news, we will interpret news for the people in the Bay Area and produce regional coverage that resonates with everyone.” – Frazier.
    What the hell does that mean?
    Major turn off.

I can take a stab at that one. How I read that was something like they aren’t going to be something like hyper-local Mission Local, rather they’d be more like the NYT’s Bay Area Blog, which is easily digestible by a national audience.

Something like that, anyway.

3. Katie says:

Yeah, that’s what I’m worried about. My impression of the NYT Bay Area blog so far is that they do way too much rewriting other reporters’ reporting and then throw in how they personally feel about it, as though how they feel about it is newsworthy. The blog’s actual journalism, with a handful of notable exceptions (their coverage of prop 8 trial was good), has been rather on the weak side. But maybe that’s my preference for old school media coming out.

If BANP is able to hire 15 reporters – and, likely, have their pick of many excellent ones – i would like to think they’ll do a lot better than that.

(PS I’m a big fan of yours, SFCitizen! You run journalistic circles around the NYT Bay Area Blog and many others on a daily basis! Bravo.)

4. Matt says:

That’s really interesting, I wonder how they differer from other local news sites. The fact that Lisa Frazier (the CEO) is making 400,000 a year is pretty silly given the state of local news. I find the most useful tools for local news and local news blog discovery are sites like Fwix (That’s how I found this post) for local and google news for global topics.

Muchas gracias, Katie. I was hoping that there’d be more for locals in the NYT’s BAB, but I think we’ll get that when BANP contributes to (I think that’s the plan) the NYT’s BAB (starting by year’s end?).

Yes, Matt, I was thinking that BANP would have gotten started last year, but they’re fixing on being a big organization. If they had an endowment of $100,000,000 or if they had Dede Wilsey dedicated to raising money for them 24/7, then people would worry about BANP less. They continue to raise money so we’ll see how it goes.

6. Craig says:

Dude, SF citizen, if your …

Is that you Shelby?

8. Craig says:

Where did my…

All right, tell Shelby for me that I call them like I see them. You have some big problem with that?