Nude Cyclists Take Over Our Half-Million Dollar Bathroom in the Panhandle

This was the scene a few days back when nude cyclists took over the expensive bathrooms in the Panhandle near Oak and Ashbury.

The prudish NIMBYs that whaaaambulance driver C.W. Nevius is always trying to paliate must have been beside themselves.

Don’t click to expand.

Oh well.

Oh, it was the World Naked Bike Ride San Francisco, just noticed that on one of their signs.

Here’s a ridiculous photography policy from some other rides around the world. (I was about 200 feet away using a small, medium-telephoto lens – didn’t feel the need to get any closer.) Don’t try deploying these rules in a free country like America. Anyway, enjoy:

• If it makes you uncomfortable, let the photographers know that they don’t have permission to photograph you.
  • Some rides might want to consider having a rolling start. Some have said that it’s fun to start off clothed and then, once riders are away from the assembly area and crowds, they can undress. This has been done in Vancouver and Chicago.
  • Everybody should take responsibility for making people feel comfortable and informing others (who might be unaware) of the photo/video policy.
  • Consider appointing a photography patrol to educate photographers about the policy. Most people will be respectful of policy once they are informed. Always assume good intent unless there is good reason to believe otherwise.
  • Consider prohibiting photography/video taking place in designated areas. Eg: in 2005, Seattle photographers and film-makers were prohibited from shooting closer than 15 feet from subjects. The problem is of course, that some have long lenses!
  • Tents, domes, shelters and screens: Consider prohibiting photography inside body-painting tent areas without permission from those being painted.
  • Consider issuing IDs to photographers and film-makers that you have a good relationship with, and that understand your policy.
  • Be prepared to directly confront predatory photographers if they have been warned or are actingly in blatantly disrespectful ways. Turn the tables on problem people by photographing them and posting their image on your website for the public to see. Often this will discourage them from shooting irresponsibly. There are also those who are at the event to use the images for other reasons, and you won’t know without asking. If someone is being aggressive, acting suspiciously, or making you feel uncomfortable, please tell a WNBR team coordinator or someone who can ask them to back off and give people personal space.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Nude Cyclists Take Over Our Half-Million Dollar Bathroom in the Panhandle”

1. chuck b. says:

People go out in public naked and expect…privacy? For real?

2. joe says:

To paraphrase Homer Simpson as Adam, they’re pretty uptight for naked guys.

Well that’s the thing, it was all guys, AFAICS. They’re trying to be female-friendly, I s’pose

4. james says:

A bit of commentary that this was taken on “HELL” street?

Just a leettle fun, I theenk. Actually, it’s Fell (of course).

6. clyde says:

“I don’t care what these people do. Some of the stroller-pushers passing by were apoplectic tho.”

Unfortunately, both groups of people are irritating.

7. Rob Byron says:

I guess since these folks don’t seem to have a clue about the law when it comes to public nudity, we shouldn’t expect them to have a clue about the law when it comes to photography in public areas. The whole policy is very entertaining especially the parts regarding “appointing a photography patrol to educate photographers” and “issuing IDs to photographers and film-makers.” I guess I wouldn’t be one to be issued an ID as I would have no problem educating them about the laws pertaining to photography. :-)

8. [...] find it pretty laughable as does the San Francisco Citizen; especially the ones where they’re going to get off on telling me I “don’t have [...]

9. James says:

Here is the long and short of it quoted from an article called The Photographer’s Right -

“The general rule in the United States
    is that anyone may take photographs
    of whatever they want when they are
    in a public place or places where they
    have permission to take photographs.
    Absent a specific legal prohibition
    such as a statute or ordinance, you are
    legally entitled to take photographs.
    Examples of places that are traditionally
    considered public are streets,
    sidewalks, and public parks.”

If I want to photograph a WNBR participant while he/she is in a public place whether the participant is a man woman or child I can, and I can do so without violating any law, unless there is a specific law or ordinance prohibiting photography in a particular location, however, I doubt you find that anywhere in the U.S., especially when the location is a public street., as such a law would probably violate precedents already established by the US Supreme Court.

The audacity of someone riding a bicycle nude down a public street and claiming a right to privacy LMAO!!!!

I have never shot a WNBR event but now I am determined to do so!