See what happens when you build sidewalks wider than the Nina, the Pinta, and/or the Santa Maria? The people that own propertah nearby start to think that the wide wide sidewalk is owned by them.

So they park there.

And the SFMTA / DPT won’t do anything about it. Why? Because they’re afraid.

They’ll always say, “Just call us if there’s a problem.” But they don’t mean it. For some reason, the DPT is afraid to ticket cars that park on the sidewalks of Masonic and the Outer Sunset, places like that.

Oh well.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “If You Own a Garage and a BMW, Feel Free to Park on the Sidewalk in Front of Your House – DPT Doesn’t Care”

1. kc! says:

Another possible interpretation is that the super-wide sidewalk is not entirely owned by the city, and therefore not ticket-able?

Case in point, a house that I used to live at in the outer mission had very wide sidewalks that looked all the same, but when you looked at the property line, the house actually included a “driveway and front yard” which was therefore legal to park your car on (even though it just looked like an extension of the sidewalk).

In their case, they were fighting the city because they kept getting tickets when parking on what turned out to be their legal parking area.

Just a thought.

I hear you, but I don’t think that’s the case in this situation….

3. don't agree says:

Still illegal to park your car on your “paved over yard”.

Yeah, lots of people didn’t get permits for that kind of thing. Oh well

5. MCaz says:

Used to live in Parkside and observed multiple neighbors get ticketed for wheels over the main portion of the sidewalk… this was 2 years ago so maybe priorities have changed…

It’s still totally wide open on Masonic, it seems

7. SlideSF says:

That’s right, blame the sidewalk because somebody parked their BMW on it (rolls eyes heavenward). I have always had good response from calling DPT (553-1200). Can you demonstrate in what way DPT is “afraid” to take action against illegal parkers on Masonic?

You see how the real world works, all nuanced ‘n stuff?

9. john says:

kc, it is illegal to park in front of your house even if it is your property. DPT/police regularly ticket people for this on the east side.

10. SlideSF says:

“Some sidewalks are too wide, some are not. Some people park where they shouldn’t and some do.

You see how the real world works, all nuanced ‘n stuff?”

Ok, I think I understand about all that nuance ‘n’ stuff (it’s pretty hard for such a dolt as myself to comprehend, but I do get an inkling from time to time…), BUT,

in the case of parking, there are City ordinances and State laws which determine where people should and should not do it.

in the case of sidewalk width, I think it might be a little more, you know, nuanced. Like what the code was at the time it was gridded out, or built or whatever. I doubt you will find a statute determining the maximum width for a sidewalk in SF. By stating that some sidewalks are too wide, what are you basing that on? Oh yeah, your opinion.

You also seem to imply that people who live on streets with wide sidewalks park on them because they are wide. The fact is, people who live on streets with wide sidewalks park on them because it’s where they live. The reason I know this is because I live on a street with a narrow sidewalk, and I walk on other narrow sidewalks – and people block those too.

11. LT says:

I haven’t seen DPT take initiative, but I’m satisfied that they aren’t “afraid” to respond to complaints. I like it that way.

In my UCSF neighborhood, one house often had a car blocking the sidewalk. Not just on street cleaning days like other folks, but habitually. After notes on the windshield didn’t help, I finally called DPT. The sidewalk parking stopped. After a year or so, it started again, so I called DPT and it stopped again.

I think this is the right way for DPT to let us all cut each other a little slack, but respond when the problem is bad enough to produce a complaint.

There should be zero slack for the sidewalk parkers of Masonic.

You read the streetsblog bit?

13. Herr Doktor Professor Deth Vegetable says:

In unrelated note: What the heck is wrong with most of your photos recently? They appear all weirdly splotched and indistinct. I assume it is some sort of filter you are using on purpose, but it looks terrible and makes it hard to see what is actually going on in the pic.

Just sayin’.

All right, I hear you but I like this image…