You see them, the two “Ask Me” Brownshirts, “monitoring” the historic Bay to Breakers street party – don’t they look a little dejected and pissed off?

Well, guess what? They were, in actuality, dejected and pissed off.

Some people, like the Yes on Prop 8 crew, actually like volunteering for “Christian Billionaire” Philip Anschutz but others aren’t cut out for it.

Boy, won’t these souvenuir T-shirts help them to remember all the good times they’re not having by trying to rat out people actually having a good time?

No, not actually.

And the “private security,” the ones wearing (I presume) City-issued green and orange safety vests, well, some of them are aging homeless people and others are “at-risk” youth, who feel quite free to hit on unregistered, female, “bandit” party entrants. And oh, smoke marijuana OTJ as well. Oh well.

And all the while, a party rages on the next block over. Meet the real neighbors of the NoPA:

The cool people in the ‘hood open their doors, the uncool people join task forces.

And cry, the uncool people do a lot of crying too.

Oh well.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Bay to Breakers 100: “Private Security” (At-Risk Youth, for the Most Part) and Anschutz Brownshirts Powerless”

1. Jesus (No, really...JESUS) says:

Most of (if not all) of these “brown shirts” are local HS kids. Quit trying to posit your party latching onto a separate event as some form of serious SF rebellion. AEG sucks and all, but this is actually really embarrassing for you guys. People get drunk in parks every day. Just have a good time.

You misunderstand. The people in brown shirts are unpaid “neighborhood ambassadors” – check the link in there.

As for the the “private security,” they generally had safety vests on, but some of them were older, homeless men, AFAICS. I don’t know how they’d get high school kids to work for free on a party day so I assume they’re getting paid. The homeless-looking guy (in a green-yellow vest) who challenged me to a fight said that he was getting paid.

This is a kind of rebellion, certainly. Not sure how serious it is.

3. Jesus (No, really...JESUS) says:

No. There is no “rebellion” going on. Stop that. Just say what it is–its OK.

It’s not Libya, but’s it’s a kind of rebellion.

You ought to come out of your panic room and check things out. The kids are still out there…

5. Jesus (No, really...JESUS) says:

I was out there already earlier after running the race (naked; now that sucked, but that’s another story) and hitting my local for a few; I’ve never had anything against what goes down there or Alamo or SoMA or anywhere, on its own. I just think it’s fucking ridiculous how it’s expected that the organizers (as shitty as they may personally be–and trust me, no one hates for-profit race organizers more than actual runners) should be expected to pay for maintenance and clean-up of it.

Anyway, I have more fun arguing about it online than anything. I gotta split again. Have a good day, I’ll drop you a line and maybe get a beer since I think I’m the only fool (outside the B2B people and the neighbors there–I’m a Sunset sucker–who gives a fuck about this). Later.

Fair enough. Party hard…