I don’t know, there were lots of people out there, so that was good.
On the other hand, this no-cars-allowed “Walking Streets” event was brought to you by PG&E, the company what just blew up eight people a year ago and then lied about the circumstances of that these past 12 months.
I’m still not sure what the point was for this “walking-oriented” Sunday Streets but oh well.
Here’s the beginning, at Bush and Grant “Avenue.” (Note Chiu-bacca and red-shirted handler spreading the word of the mayoral candidacy of Board of Supervisors President David Chiu.)
Click to expand
And the middle, featuring a wealth of counterfeit goods on sale, and T-shirts for $2.88, just like any other day:
And here’s the end, with pretty much all the whimsy I could find today. (In aggravation, a NIMBY group was using this same very block to recruit more NIMBYs.)
Thanks, PG&E, I guess.
“The Chinatown-North Beach Walking Street event is made possible by the lead sponsorship of Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E) with additional support from State Farm Insurance. Other Sunday Streets sponsors include Bank of America (Lead Sponsor for the 2011 Sunday Streets Season), AT&T, Bay Area Air Quality Management District, Kaiser Permanente, California Pacific Medical Center, UCSF, Shape Up, The California Endowment, Bi Rite Market, REI, Sports Basement, Mikes Bikes, Bike & Roll, Bay City Bikes, and Blazing Saddles, along with in-kind support from the American Red Cross, Bay Area, City CarShare and media sponsors SF Examiner, Clear Channel and Scoutmob.”
- Ping Pong Tournament 9 to 11:30 (Waverly Place)
- Activities for kids by Chinatown YMCA 11:30-4 (Waverly Place)
- Chalk art, Kai Ming Head Start, Experience Corps (Commercial Alley)
- Art in Kerouac Alley
- Poetry readings – Grant near Vallejo
- Freedom from Training Wheels (Grant & Green) and free Valet Bike parking by SFBC (Vallejo & Grant, and Portsmouth Square)
- Kids arts and crafts by Emerald Tablet & North Beach Merchants (Fresno Alley)
- Climate Change Education and Department of Environment host kids activities (Fresno Alley)
- Bike presentation sponsored by The New Wheel (Grant & Vallejo)
- Magician performance and childrens activities 1400 block Grant – sponsored by Carmel Blue, Schein and Schein
- Food sampling and cooking demonstrations – 1500 block Grant – sponsored by Little Vine
- Pet area – Grant and Lombard – sponsored by Jeffrey’s Pet Store
- Clown show – 1500 block Grant – sponsored by Macchiarini Design
- Zumba dance exercise – Coit Tower, 11-1
- SF Recovery Theater - Coit Tower 1:15-2
- Supervisor’s Rock with DND Band at Coit Tower, 2-4
Tags: 2011, ave, avenue, bay area, board of supervisors, bush, chinatwon, Chiu-bacca, coit, counterfeit, David Chiu, election, explosion, goods, Grant, Mayor, north beac, Pacific Gas & Electric Company, pg&e, president, san bruno, San Francisco, SFMTA, sponsorship, State Farm Insurance, streets, sunday streets, tower, walk, walking, Walking Street