Most of the cars parked in this area just south of Market Street had handicapped placards.

Here’s three in a row, the most my wide angle lens would let me take in. This is typical:

The fact is that most of the people who use handicapped placards to park in San Francisco are abusing the system.

Oh well.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “The Shame of San Francisco: People Abusing the California Handicapped Placard Program for Easy Parking”

1. Erik says:

You actually know the medical history of all of those people?

Everybody’s got something. What percentage of the population should qualify? 10?% 20%? 80%?

You actually know how many physicians have ever been disciplined for improperly approving placards in CA history? I do. It’s zero (0).

You defend this system, I don’t.

3. Cap. Obvious says:

I get a ride early morning at the intersection of VanNess and Grove. Usually I’m waiting there for 10-20 minutes. You won’t believe the number of people who park with handicapped placards and then saunter over to the City Hall.

Yes, I’m saying that City Hall employees are some of the biggest abusers of this system.

If you can walk without assistance, then you shouldn’t have a placard. Simple as that.

Alternately: the state (or city) can announce a reward for those who turn in abusers. Fine the abusers $1000, and split the proceeds with whoever turned them in.

Testify, Cap.

But, if they have a doctor’s note and their paperwork is in order, then not even the DPT street team can challenge a placard holder…

5. Missionite says:

Blue placards should not be free.

6. Nancy says:

I know of at least two people who obtained those placards through fraud and use them all the time. As far as I know, they have not been challenged – and they should be. There’s a section for handicapped parking at the end of my street and I’ve seen huge SUV’s park there and the owners hop out, with not a sign of a disability. The system is rife with abuse.