Oh, so it turns out you’re a “law school graduate.”

NTTAWWT. Not at all.

But when you hold yourself out as a “nonpracticing lawyer,” well, that can create confusion, non?

Via ComicVine

I think I’ll file this one under alpha female self-puffery, and that will that be that.

All right, GASNM.

(Boy, San Francisco is a small town, huh?)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Oh, Turns Out That Ivory Madison Isn’t Any Kind of Attorney at All – A Mystery Solved”

1. GG says:

I don’t know who Ivory Madison is, but I had this discussion with friends a number of times while waiting for Bar results. The consensus is, if you have a J.D. but have never passed a Bar in any state, you’re not a lawyer, because you’re not licensed to practice law. If you’ve passed a Bar in some other state, you’re a lawyer, but it would be appropriate to qualify yourself as “not licensed to practice in CA.” A “non-practicing attorney” would be someone who has a J.D. and has passed a Bar exam in any state, regardless of whether he or she has ever practiced law. Here’s a relevant discussion by a law school professor: http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2009/07/are-you-a-lawyer.html

I’d go further and say if you are a lawyer somewhere, then you are a lawyer everywhere.

Entrepreneurial-types tend to lie with recklessness, it seems…

3. Dave D. says:

…Then there is Wisconsin, where, if you get a J.D., you are admitted to the bar without taking a bar exam and can practise in court. Wisconsin owe gratin.

CA has a bunch of unaccredited law schools, so maybe that’s why we have a difficult bar exam…

5. Dave D. says:

..Odd you should mention that. A good friend just passed the bar. He is a high school grad, no B.A., who went to an unaccredited law school at night to get his education. And he passed the bar first try. Also, I seem to recall you can join a lawyer and ‘read the law’, then take the bar and ,if passed, get all Esquired up.

Yep. There’s the baby bar exam for first year students at some law schools in CA. If you don’t pass that then you need to repeat your first year.

And there’s that lawyer supervision technique as well – very old-school…

7. George says:

I believe “website entrepreneur” would be the applicable title. Pregnant, also, I hear…. Craig Newmark and others gave her more than a million for redroom.com. Her husband is a City-employed lawyer, thus her hesitancy in reportng this….

8. The Tens says:

I’m a purgatorial non-lawyer, awaiting my admission packet.

Congratulations.

The Bar sometimes works slowly, of course.

When MCLE time comes, don’t forget about MCLEZ.com – $69 for all the MCLE you need for 3 years…

10. Eve says:

She’s editing her profiles since this came out. Just sayin. Well her husband should have clued her in eh? I thought purporting to be an attorney was a big legal faux pas.