Get up to speed on the issue of the death of former avid Strava user Kim Flint right here:

Did attempt to set speed record cause cyclist’s death?

That was about two years back.

Was that segment “dangerous?”

No matter, it came back, as you can see here:

Now, it’s flagged for being dangerous (what, just yesterday?), but not before tons of people attempted to beat Kim Flynt’s time, to become “King of the Mountain” (KOM) once again.

Here are the deets from a Reader Just Like You, Brandon:

“BTW, speaking of Strava and the cyclist who died in Berkeley in 2010 trying to reclaim his recently eclipsed “KOM” on the South Park Drive descent in Berkeley’s Tilden Park, the same segment has now reappeared on Strava again:

The full descent segment was flagged after Kim Flynt’s death, but a Strava user has redrawn the segment now starting it a little below the top and ending it enough before the bottom to get around the software blocking the segment.

Note that Kim Flynt’s once “record” descent is now all the way down in 7 way tie for 16th place:

16 Kim Flint
Jun 06, 2010
66.4km/h 152bpm 300W – 1:56

And the fastest time was set just a few days ago now:

Tim Medina
May 20, 2012
72.6km/h 168bpm 155W – 1:46

That’s over 45 mph avg (with a max. of 54 mph)!”

What’s the speed limit there, 30 MPH?

Does Strava encourage speeding? For example, how fast was Strava fan and cyclist Chris Bucchere going down Castro before hit collided with pedestrian Sutchi Hui? (Has there been a measurement done from the video yet?) Shouldn’t Strava ban segments with speeding in them?

Strava wants new customers, Strava wants to make money, right? This is how they do it, they let riders do what the riders want and then when the media focuses on a particularly dangerous segment, it all of a sudden gets flagged and goes down the memory hole.

Is that how you roll, Strava?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “The Resurrection of the Dangerous “SouthParkDrive Descent,” the 54 MPH(!) Strava Segment That Killed Cyclist Kim Flint”

1. Jason Thorpe says:

[Solitary link omitted]

Fine, you’re a big Strava fan. You, unlike some other Strava users, think that there’s no room on the Net for a discussion on how to improve Strava, apparently. You, perhaps, feel that Strava had nothing to do with the deaths of Kim Flint or Sutchi Hui.

Don’t you think 35 mph is maybe a bit too fast for Castro Street? You can give your opinion even if Strava sponsors your team or whatnot…

3. Beautiful says:

So it’s cool if I have a heart attack trying to get a KOM on a climb.. but if I crash on a descent they remove the segment??

Pretty much.

5. steve says:

I feel bad for the cyclist and his family, but we take risks everyday. The caption says it all-he was trying to reclaim his KOm. He had ridden there before, so he assumes the risk involved-period. He wasnt paying attention obviously if he had to slam his brakes on to avoid hitting a car in front of him. If you hit a car from behind in an automobile, it is your fault; not thecars, not the driver in front of you. I know when I get in my car, there is a chance I could get injured or worse, killed. I certainly wouldnt think of going after Dodge because of an “accident”. I am an avid cyclist that uses Strava. As a cyclist, I take a risk riding a bike everyday. I dont need someone to tell me how risky it is. This doesnt surprise me at all in this age of the sue happy Americans. Again, my thoughts go out to the family, but lawsuits dont bring back loved ones.

6. ADam Bruss says:

It’s not STRAVA’s fault. People who use STRAVA create the segments not STRAVA. Anyone can create a segment. Blaming STRAVA for accidents is like blaming companies that make speedometers. Or how bout we blame people that build fast bikes.

THe family of Sutchi Hui has/had a lawsuit against Strava does it not?

Legal workers for Strava do research on various theories of liability that could end up costing Strava money, do they not? This is a real issue.