Vaillancourt Fountain was a comment on its former neighbor, the Embarcadero Freeway. But the freeway is all gone, so why are we still stuck with the fountain?

Remember when SFGov shut down this fountain back in 2000 to save on operating costs?

Why not let’s do that again?

Via Tobi Harriman:

(Hey man, nice shot!)

Or better yet, let’s just take this whole thing down.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “When Oh When Will San Francisco Be Rid of Vaillancourt Fountain? It Riffs Off a Freeway That’s No Longer There”

1. what says:

I love this sculpture.

2. SFEvl1 says:

Why would you want to shut it down? It has so much history! It’s been a part of the Embarcadero for so long. What are you…..some hipster from the mid-west who has no clue?

3. Anonymous says:

Well, I was born on the bayou, so I don’t know about the Midwest.

It was a mistake to allow this thing to go up. So why don’t we fix this mistake?

It was put there to match the freeway – why didn’t we tear it down with the freeway?

Or will it be there forever, sucking away our precious ‘lectricity?

4. Justin says:

Yes, I agree. Lets put in something new, preferably something that doesn’t waste water. Just because something is old doesn’t mean it’s good. No I am not a hipster. No I was not born in the city.

5. REALSF says:

pssst: the water is recycled through the pipes Just-ard…

6. Jezebel Jones says:

Who knew this post would rouse the hoi polloi so much? It’s an ugly fountain with too many sharp edges, a gnarly exterior and a throwback from the 70′s. Have you ever taken a visiting tourist to see the fountain? Even Howard Roark would hate it.

And, I’m not a mid-west hipster, I’ve lived in SF for over 35 years.

7. sfmike says:

It’s so aggressively ugly a fountain that I’ve sort of grown to love it. And in terms of historical significance, its appearance actually predicted the fate of the adjoining double decker freeway after the 1989 quake. If anything, It needs MORE water and electricity, not less. Let us embrace this historical legacy to an environmental disaster, the Embarcadero Freeway, now being replaced by that new infrastructure disaster, the Central Subway.

8. Vaill's in your court. says:

San Francisco needs MORE public art, not less.
    Get over it, and start advocating for more of the type of public sculpture you find appealing, whatever that may be.

9. James says:

I used to love running through & under those cement pipes when I was little. So I’ve still got a soft spot for it, how it welcomes you to explore. Given the choice of ugly fountains, I’d get rid of the one at UN Plaza first.

10. Teka Lynn says:

That fountain is four years younger than I am, and is part of my childhood. I absolutely loved it, and I still remember it fondly.