Take a look at this segment created by the “Strava Community” of troubled Strava, Inc. owners, managers, and/or users.

See? This is a bike trip down Nob Hill through the Tenderloin to the Mid Market:

Note the innocuous-sounding title: Hyde/Market st.

But also note the URL up there. The name of this segment used to be “Hyde Street Bomb!” But that doesn’t look so hot when you’re in the national news for getting sued.

Oh, here it is, have a go on the YouTube – will the cyclist beat all those cagers in Priuseses what stop for red lights? Hells yes:

You Make The Call.

And oh, here’s how that Strava webpage looked before, was it just a day ago? Two days ago? I don’t know. But this is quite a recent change. Alls I know is that somebody in the “Strava Community,” be it an owner, manager, legal advisor, person following instructions from a legal advisor, cyclist, or, really, anybody in the entire world, created this segment and/or edited it.

The people at Strava, Inc. aren’t what you call transparent, so it’s hard to tell.

Anyway, here’s your Hyde Street Bomb!

Does registering for Strava and racing down Nob Hill in this fashion make you an “athlete?”

Again, You Make The Call.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Showing How STRAVA, Inc is Dealing with Its Legal Challenges: Here’s What the “Hyde Street Bomb!” Looks Like”

1. John Murphy says:

The KOM on this segment is 19 MPH. “BOMBING”. An average human being can ride 19 MPH on flat ground.

So please tell me, if the strava cyclists are riding *downhill* at a speed that is not particularly fast on *flat* ground, and 6 MPH lower than the speed limit on that particular road, is this not a confirmation that the cyclists on Strava are in fact being responsible, not the other way around?

2. Cap. Obvious says:

@Muprhy: But can you ride 19MPH on flat ground with traffic signals? Do you know that Valencia has lights timed to 13MPH so that cyclists can make the lights. So for Strava guys to average 19MPH on this segment _with_ traffic lights is definitely BOMBING. By running red lights and speeding, they ARE PUTTING PEOPLE AT RISK. Watch the video before you comment, *PLEASE*.

Yeah, I can’t tell what the speeds were, but I saw a half-dozen red light violations…

I don’t know, is the cyclist an “athlete?” Is he (I assume “he” since no female Stravarians have uploaded results for this run, based upon the lack of Queen of the Mountain entries) “racing?” I don’t know.

4. mikesonn says:

Have been to SoMa before? Those are 4 lane freeways that time lights for 35-40mph. Valencia one of a very very few streets timed for 13mph. It is rare but very much welcome. Hyde is also a one way street for most of, if not all, of that bomb. 19mph isn’t “bombing” it at all.

5. Rob Anderson says:

Sonn and Murphy are bike zealots who will defend anything that other bike zealots do, however juvenile and dangerous.

6. John Murphy says:

If they are running the lights, they would exceed 19 MPH. What is it?

7. mikesonn says:

If you read what we write, Rob, you would see that we are not defending any action. But you have your mantra, so march on.

8. Different Rob says:

Maybe I missed something, but how did you link the video to the Strava segment? I see a user name of ThrownBlown in YouTube and Alex F. in Strava. Quite the fallacious argument there, akin to “I speed to work because there’s a racing video on YouTube”.

Really, you just want a corporation to be liable for stupid behaviour.

9. SFC says:

That’s a fair point, but the time and the date match up, non?

What if there were a Strava for cars? Let’s race to see who can get the best time from this 7-11 to that 7-11. If somebody gets run over, then there could be liability for Strava For Cars.

Strava is liable for its stupid behavior, sure.

I mean, they’re being sued now, right? We’ll see who wins…

10. Different Rob says:

Not sure where you got the information that the time and date match up?

The video was posted July20, 2011 and the KOM in your blog is dated Jan. 05, 2012.

A quick review of the riders shown in the leaderboard show that none rode around the time of the youtube video.

Now none of that is proof, I can’t tell when the video was taken, only when it was posted, and it doesn’t look like anyone actually rode that segment at that time.

What if there were a Strava for cars? There isn’t, and that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re not even talking about cycling. The question is, is Strava responsible for the behaviour of their users and user generated content on their site?

I don’t have access to Strava, unlike you. I don’t know who’s on Strava IRL and who posted the vid.

I should have said the timing matches up. And it’s what you used to get when you would type Hyde Street Bomb into the YouTube. Keywords?

Are you saying that the Hyde Street Bomb is still up even now after the lawsuits? Jesus Christ, cheese and rice.

Oh yeah, I made a Strava for cars. The first segment from my “community” was 2nd Street to 5th Street on Market. The KOM was 35 seconds but then it was beat by a dude going 75 mph and then he hit somebody and then I was worried about getting sued so I lawyered up and changed the TOS for Strava for Cars in a cryptic CEO Statement. Good times.

12. Different Rob says:

Huh? The timing matched up? You mean the video and the Strava segment were ridden at the same pace?

Just because someone rode the same section of road at the same pace doesn’t mean he posted it to Strava. It certainly doesn’t even get you in the ballpark in your claim that they are related.

I hope if the case goes to trial that the jury sticks to facts and actual provable relationships rather than the innuendo you’ve posted here.

This might help:

I think you are guilty of the first three fallacies (at the least).

I think that Strava influenced the real life behavior of that guy on YouTube.

I think that Strava influenced the real life behavior of Chris Bucchere, who has a trial coming up.

I think that Strava influenced the real life behavior of Kim Flynt, who is now dead.

I didn’t say that the Hyde Street KOM dude posted his video.

Did people do this kind of thing before Strava? I don’t know. There was the 22nd Street Bomb, before, as well, where Chris Bucchere and others would ride down one of the steepest streets in town over and over. IMO, their behavior was influenced by Strava.

Strava kills, right?

14. Different Rob says:

Wow. Better go back and re-read that Wikipedia page. I think you missed a few pointers about making valid agruments.

What you think is entirely irrelevant.

And you certainly did attempt to link the YouTube video with the Strava segment. And when you got called on it you couldn’t come up with a single valid reason for linking then, other than what you think.

15. SFC says:

This is going too far for you?

“Now, do you think that the “Strava Community” might have had an effect on the behavior of this cyclist? You Make The Call.”

You think that the idea of Strava affecting this person’s behavior is out of bounds? I don’t.

Didn’t read that Wiki page in the first place.

Actually, what _you_ think is entirely irrelevant. [Pwned!]

So you’re “calling me” on what? I think that Strava affects people’s behavior. Do you think Strava played a role in the death of Sutchi Hui? Or Kim Flynt?

Let’s see here, I’ll add you to the list of unhappy readers, along with the Strava dude whose co-worker at a tech co. was killed on Strava two years ago, along with the O’Melveney law firm worker(s) with equity(?) in Strava.

We’ll just have to wait to see how those wrongful death / homicide cases work out, don’t you think?