Posts Tagged ‘bmw’
Driving Around the World in a Third-Generation New MINI Hatch (F56) – Sighted on Lombard – Next Stops: Germany, JapanMonday, July 28th, 2014
Back in the 1990′s, Euros went Around The World via French House.
These days, they use tiny BMW’s:
“Around the World with a MINI F56 2014.
Start, 16. June 2014 in Germany.
7 countries, 2 months, 2 people, MINI takes the States, 22.000 km. Kick-off 16. June 2014″
Click to expand
It’s Around the World in 60 Days.
Bon Courage, you daft punks.
UPDATE: This just came in, FYI:
“MINI TAKES THE STATES Motors Across The Country With High-Flying Send-Off From Tony Hawk
MINI owners from around the world rally from San Francisco to Boston: 14 states, 18 cities in 15 days
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., July 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Motorers, start your engines! MINI TAKES THE STATES (MTTS) 2014 is now underway. The rally kicked off early on July 27(th) with fellow MINI owner and partner, Tony Hawk, performing a MINI inspired skateboarding stunt to send off MINI owners itching to hit the road.
Ah, BMW’s 528e – The Low Rev Modest Driving Machine
Boxy Bimmers on the hillside,
Boxy Bimmers made of ticky tacky
Boxy Bimmers on the hillside,
Boxy Bimmers all the same.
There’s a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same
New “Upshift” Company Delivers a Rental Car to You – It’s the “Uber of Carshare” – It’s Bicycle-Assisted Car RentalsFriday, July 4th, 2014
Upshift is here, or at least it’s here in the Russian Hill and Nob Hill areas.
Here’s how it works:
“1. TAP A BUTTON – Anywhere in San Francisco. Get a car for the day with one tap. It’s that easy.
2. GET A CAR DELIVERED – Get a Small, Medium, Large, or Luxury vehicle delivered in 60 minutes. You drive it for the day & our driver rides off on a bike! Introductory rates from $49/day.
3. LEAVE IT ANYWHERE – Drop it off wherever you like in the city. We’ll come pick it up. That’s it. You’re done.”
So your rent-a-car will arrive double-parked at your front door with a green Bianchi or whatever on top and an inner-city sweathog inside. The Upshifter will simply hand you the keys and then pedal away.
(I’ll note that bicycle theft is an issue in San Francisco, just saying. Who’ll be the first Upshifter to lose his/her ride?)
All right, all the deets:
“Upshift is an exclusive, members only car club. Get the freedom of owning a private car with the luxury and convenience of a car service. Push a button, get a hybrid, SUV, or luxury car delivered. You drive it for a day. We pick it up when you’re done. No need to return to the same location as long as it’s in our zone (includes all of the core areas of San Francisco). We professionally operate a fleet of cars out of a single garage. Cars can only be taken out by the day only to start. Subscription pricing and recurrent bookings (eg, deliver a car every Tuesday at 7 am) for regular usage needs. The main limitation of carshare today is parking, not vehicle cost.”
Founded by Ezra Goldman. Who’s that?
Upshift makes getting out of town easy. Just push a button on your phone, get a car for the day delivered to your door, and get out of town. We’ll pick it up again anywhere in the city when you’re done, even at a different location from where we delivered, enabling a “one way” service. Payment is all done through your Upshift account, with no cash or card transactions and no paperwork.
Your next car fits in your pocket. And someday, it will drive itself to your door.
Upshift provides club members great cars on demand at the push of a button. We’ll pick up and drop off anywhere in the city- even in two different locations for one way service. Upshift provides more convenience and flexibility than car leasing with less cost, commitment and hassle.
We have spent over 2 years developing the model and getting backing from the world’s best carshare, autotech, and insurance experts around the world. Carsharing takes 9-13 cars off the road for each car we put on the road, unlocking new park space for more livable cities. We enable a transition to a car-free urban lifestyle, taking 1M cars off the streets, to save 10B pounds of CO2 per year by disrupting the car leasing market.
Well, welcome to town, Upshift.
Video: San Francisco Surfer Attacks BMW and Mercedes: “Angry hippie kicking in my mirror at Ocean Beach in SF”Monday, April 28th, 2014
Here’s video of this recent affair in the outer Outer Sunset District.
And here’s a screengrab of one of the mirror grabs:
And here’s some convo, but, whatever you do, don’t ID the hippie as “Cricket,” else your comment will get pulled from the Reddit.
All right, here we go:
1. It seems very unlikely to me that the dirty, dirty hippie had a clean signal to even make it to the median – either he didn’t notice or he didn’t care.
2. Having said that, he was in the crosswalk when the lights went green, so the drivers needed to wait for him to clear. Technically, he wasn’t in the crosswalk “legally,” but it’s really tough for drivers to know this info at the time, and, in any event, drivers aren’t allowed to crash into peds on purpose, so what’s the point of all this honking and rolling.
3. What makes all of this especially stupid is that the lights on the so-called Great Highway are timed for a certain speed, so if you want you can just safely set your cruise control and be done. Except in this case, the Golden Gods in these German Chariots went faster than what the lights are timed for, oh well.
4. Having said that, I would have given this dude a wide berth and he wouldn’t have gotten any of my mirrors. (Maybe instead he would have pulled a Sig Sauer from his groinal region and shot me down dead, sure, but he wouldn’t have gotten at my mirrors.)
5. Oh, and snaps to all the other drivers – they managed to not plow their Audis and whatnot into stopped traffic
All three of these dudes is crazy – they’re all guilty guilty guilty.
Frat dudes is like Juggalos
Now IRL, this BMW driver had her face in her palms for a good 20 seconds while stuck two yards north of the stop line on Masonic northbound at Fell.
But let’s say you don’t believe me and you say that she had the green, but then why is she driving like this with her eyes covered?
Click to expand
In conclusion SPJSBD (Some People Just Shouldn’t Be Driving).
I mean, if you’re tired, take a rest.
And if you’re emotional, take a break first.
And only then fire up your Driving Machine.
(And, oh yes, SFGov, in its wisdom, decided to put the stop line a waaaaaaay back at this particular intersection. So if you want to turn left and you’re not sure you’re going to make it before the red, then you shouldn’t cross into the crosswalk. However, once you’ve gone into the crosswalk, you’re committed to making that turn and what you should do is creep forward and turn on the current light cycle. It Is Written. I mean, otherwise, you end up with this mess, stuck in a crosswalk for one minute-plus. Bad form, Missy.)