Today from the SFDA:
“MAN CHARGED WITH REGISTERING TO VOTE USING FALSE ADDRESSES
SAN FRANCISCO— Today, San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón announced that Donald Dewsnup, age 49, of San Francisco, was arraigned on charges of registering to vote using a false address. Dewsnup’s fraudulent voter registration enabled him to vote in a supervisorial district in which he did not reside.
“San Francisco’s supervisorial races can be decided by a small number of voters,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “A healthy democracy benefits from zealous debate, but can be undermined by fraud and deceit.”
To ensure the integrity of the electoral process, California law requires voters to put their true residential addresses on their voter registration forms. Dewsnup, a licensed realtor, is also accused of providing a false address to the California Bureau of Real Estate. He is charged with three felony counts of filing a false document with a government agency, two felony counts of perjury, and two felony counts of false voter registration. According to court documents, Dewsnup used these false addresses in order to infiltrate a neighborhood association on Telegraph Hill, where he did not reside, with the purpose of advancing his personal political agenda.
Dewsnup was arrested by San Francisco District Attorney Investigators yesterday. He was arraigned on the felony charges today, and was released on his own recognizance. He will appear in court again on April 19th for a prehearing conference.”
Leave us begin:
“Pro-Development Activist Suffers Politically Motivated Arrest in SF
1. CAREFUL NOW – GETTING CLOSE TO DEFAMATION.
He registered at an address he thought approximated a location where he was sleeping at the time.
This arrest is without question politically motivated. There’s no other explanation for why the District Attorney of a major city would investigate and charge one person for registering at an inaccurate address.
I am looking forward to discovering who made the complaint to the DA, and how the DA was convinced to spend precious public resources on this issue.
4. SOMEBODY MADE A COMPLAINT, REALLY? DO WE KNOW THIS? DIDN’T DONALD DEWSNUP POST A PHOTO OF PART OF HIS BALLOT (ARGUABLY ILLEGAL IN ITSELF, IN CA, BUT NEVER PROSECUTED AFAIK) WHAT SHOWED HIM VOTING FOR PRO-DEVELOPMENT, APPOINTED SUPERVISOR JULIE CHRISTENSEN?
In doing this activism, Donald apparently antagonized anti-growth incumbents.
5. IS SUPPORTING LONGTIME REPUBLICAN RON CONWAY’S CHOICE CONSIDERED “ACTIVISM” THESE DAYS? IDK. IDTS
I knew that a policy change as radical as the one we’re calling for would not be won easily, however I am shocked the DA would harass a housing advocate, who happens to be homeless, for trying to vote.
6. OF COURSE, THE HOUSING STATUS WHAT MATTERS HAS TO DO WITH RESIDENCY TO QUALIFY FOR VOTING FOR JULIE CHRISTENSEN LAST YEAR, RIGHT?
“Voter fraud is serious…”
7. WELL, NOW YOU’RE ON THE TROLLEY. (WHAT YOU DO IS SAY, OH, I GOT CARRIED AWAY AND THEN I DID SOMETHING I SHOULDN’T HAVE. YOU SHOW CONTRITION. YOU SAY YOU’LL NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS EVER AGAIN. THEN YOU CAN JOIN THE LIST OF PEOPLE IN TOWN WHO DO BAD THINGS BUT DON’T GET JAIL TIME.) ALL RIGHT, IT SOUNDED LIKE YOU ALL WERE GETTING A LITTLE CRAZY THERE, BUT, OH WHAT’S THAT, THERE’S MORE?
“…but more serious still is living in a city where a vindictive Supervisor can order people arrested at will.”
8. OH. OK. ENTERING LIBELTOWN, POPULATION: YOU
Founder, SF Bay Area Renters’ Federation
(215) 900 1457″
9. NOW THAT’S A NICE LOCAL PHONE NUMBER! TORTURE ME AND I WOULDN’T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN. I’D BE YELLING OUT SASKATCHEWAN! SASKATCHEWAN?
END OF LINE
Something tells me you want to go home
Custom clothes you own
Calling up from special area codes