Imagine something like this in Frisco:
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) woodpeckers were hot in San Francisco back in the day, back when they were getting attention from former City Lights Luminary and craigslist founder Craig Newmark, and the SFWeekly.
Here’s a female spotted back in aught-nine at the “Blair Witchy” Mount Sutro Open Space Reserve on University of California land above UCSF. Maybe she was the life partner of the male Craig used to see in his backyard located lower down the hill? Could have been.
Work it, GF!
Click to expand
Also known as a “clape, gaffer woodpecker, harry-wicket, heigh-ho, wake-up, walk-up, wick-up, yarrup, or gawker bird.”
Love your polka dots, little Flicker.
This is just my WAG.*
Now, let’s let Lee Hubbard of the Oakland Post Online take over:
“Among those reportedly interested in the District 5 seat are Julian Davis, president of the board of Booker T. Washington Community Service Center; Gabriel Haaland, political director of SEIU Local 1021; Phil Ginsburg, Recreation and Park Department Director; and Michael O’Connor, the co-owner of the Independent Music Hall. Breed, who directs the African American Cultural Center on Fulton Street, has expressed interest in the position. She has a large segment of the Black activist community behind her, pushing Mayor Lee to appoint her as supervisor. “London is a woman who is definitely qualified to sit in that seat,” said Bridgette LeBlanc, with Black Women Organized for Political Action (BWOPA). ‘She is a native San Franciscan who was raised and works in the community. She is a leader who is electable, and she can build bridges.'”
OMG, it’s LB with the POTUS!
Here are the reasons:
1. She is the choice of Willie Brown.
2. She is the choice of Willie Brown. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, but why should Chinatown power broker Rose Pak have any say in D5, which, historically, anyway, is/was, along with D10, an “African-American district?”
3. She is the choice of Willie Brown and she has waaaaaaaaay less baggage than recent mayoral appointee Mohammed Nuru. I mean, how could she have as many closet skeletons as he? So, he makes the cut and she doesn’t – would that make sense?
4. She is the choice of Willie Brown and as a matter of fact, about four years ago, Willie the Sorting Hat actually tried to place London into the Assembly(!), or into the Tri-Wizard Tournament or somewhere. That seemed a stretch at the time, but appointing LB as Supe doesn’t seem a stretch at all right here and right now.
5. She is a 2008 “graduate” of Emerge California, which encourages women to run for elective office. And when I say “encourages,” I mean pressures. (Signing up for Emerge** is kind of like saying that you plan on running for office (or higher office) sooner rather than later.) Anyway, the questions Mayor Ed Lee’s people would have for London concern her commitment for becoming and maintaining her position as Supervisor, right? So, London, if not now, when?
6. She is the Worst Case Scenario for San Francisco’s progressives, IMO. She would be a train wreck for them, actually. So as far as Ed Lee’s political faction is concerned, picking anybody else would be an unnecessary risk.
Those are the reasons – the strongest are #1 and #6.
So, if I know my Ed Lee, London Breed will be the appointee.
Bank on it.
As that Omar Khalif guy recently said:
*Which means I’ve figured this out on my own, unlike say, a year and a half ago when I got a phone call telling me the game plan about how Mark Farrell was going to win in District 2, which he did.
**And pay your money, but, srsly, it’s a pretty sweet deal, if you’re a woman planning on running for office soon, and if you’re not a Repub or a Green, and if you’re fortunate enough to get picked.
“From November 23, 2011 – January 16, 2012 the Academy will offer a suite of wintry festivities and family fun that will celebrate the science behind some of our most familiar holiday sights, sounds, and traditions. Highlights include:
A pair of live reindeer
Indoor snow flurries twice an hour
A Snowman Theater – an immersive digital dome shaped like a giant snowman, which will play two new shows on the science of snow
An aromatic Spice Forest – displays of the raw botanical specimens from which we get cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and other holiday ingredients
Festive programs including quiz shows, live music, dance, and theater performances
Mounted specimens of the birds mentioned in “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” including swans, geese, colly birds, hens, doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.”
Remember RLGC – Reindeer Love Graham Crackers. Hey kids, name this reindeer! (She’s a girl, BTW.)
Click to expand
And here’s what these critters looked like when they were on the famous roof, via an iPhone 4:
This is Miles – he’s a fool for pine branches, I’ll tell you:
One of four Evaporative Snow machines:
Le Theatre de Bonhomme de Neige – they’ve got two short films to show once you get inside:
The aromatic Spice Forest lets you smell stuff like nutmeg and vanilla:
And a partridge in a pear tree:
See you there!