Gloria says that there will be no statement from Nicky today because it was emotionally-challenging for her to speak out yesterday.
And off we go:
Statement from Gloria:
An April 22, 2003 letter from the Social Security Administrationshows that the SSN provided by Nicky was problematic. The letter tells recipients to ask the employee for the employee’s SSN, but Meg didn’t do that. Meg’s husband partially filled out the SSA form and then handed it to Nicky with a note saying, “Nicky, please check this.” The Whitmans wanted an undocumented worker because undocumented workers are easier to manage.
Meg Whitman lied to the press and the public when she said that, “We never received that letter and notification.”
Meg is exposed as a liar an a hypocrite. She should apologize to Nicky the press and the public.
Nicky is a hero. She is the Rosa Parks of the movement to gain respect for Latinos and all those who work so hard in households today.
Blowups showing the letter and quotes from Meg including handwriting from Meg’s husband: “Nicky, please check this. Thanks”
Q and A:
1. Let’s see if Meg will continue to deny knowledge of the letter.
2. Nicky says she only got the mail when the Whitmans were on vacation.
3. Nicky asserts that the handwriting is from Dr. Harsh. If the Whitmans would like to deny that, I’d like to know. Let’s see what they say. Nicky says she knows his handwriting.
4. I think this evidence speaks for itself. If Meg wants to take a lie detector test, that’s fine. I won’t tell Meg what to do.
5. My client doesn’t need to take a lie detector test. That’s irrelevant.
6. Many people hold onto documents for a long time. I’m glad Nicky did so.
7. Nicky knew she wanted to do something about what she suffered. Nicky was terminated in June 2009 because Nicky was gathering legal documents.
8. Nicky contacted a lawyer and that lawyer contacted me. That’s how I came to represent Nicky.
9. People who aren’t rich and powerful deserve to have representation.
10. I have had no contact with anybody in the Jerry Brown campaign.
11. I don’t know how Jerry Brown’s people knew two weeks ago about this issue. Maybe they knew something, I don’t know.
12. I don’t know why Meg would wait months after declaring her run for Governor to fire Nicky.
13. I think Meg saying “we” didn’t know is significant. Meg chose that word. I’m a former English teacher, I think words matter.
14. Let’s just see if Dr. Harsh will deny that this is his handwriting. If he denies it then we might offer more proof. I have no comment on any other evdience we have.
15. I won’t say the name of the attorney who referred Nicky to me.
16. Nicky is not working at this time.
17. Nicky’s taking an enormous risk. She’s demonstrating more courage than anyone I’ve met during the decades I’ve been practising law. We shouldn’t underestimate how bright many housekeepers are.
18. We haven’t offered Nicky any money.
19. Nicky’s worked more than 15 hours per week and was told by the Whitmans that she wouldn’t get paid for anything more. Her back wages are probably not a significant sum.
20. I’m here to support Nicky and provide the truth about what happened to her.
Gloria might come back with another press conference soon if the Whitmans want to deny today’s allegations.
Now we’re off to the Spanish language part of the program.
To Be Continued…