This one was customized for Lowell, you’ll see:
Click to expand
This one was customized for Lowell, you’ll see:
Click to expand
Via Caleb, leader of the PandaRevolt:
Click to expand
Soon enough, the SFPD will warn smartcar owners to park these toys in a garage or backyard at night, you know, for security.
When Smart Cars started showing up in the 415, what I thought we’d see was:
1. Smart Car tipping (Naughty naughty!); and
It Has Come To Pass.
Last year, this prankster on Post Street could make a fake spider jump from two stories up. And you could do the same, why not?
All you have to do is set up an extra long string over the edge of the fire escape and you’re in business. Give a tug when people walk by and you could scare them.
Click to expand
These days spider-fearers are best off hanging out in Union Square, where the influential Bohemian Club has banned arachnids of all types.
As seen on Taylor Street:
[UPDATE IV, Jason Lives: I guess we have closure now, excepting for Monday morning's FORUM from Michael Krasny on the KQED-FM. Leave us downgrade this Cat 5 contretemps all the way to unnamed tropical depression:
"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
LGBT DISPUTE WITH ANONYMOUS TENTATIVELY SETTLED. COUNTER-DEMONSTRATION CANCELLED.
San Francisco, CA August 28, 2011
Monday’s counter-demonstration against Anonymous by members of the LGBT Community has been cancelled after Anonymous made assurances that they have no malice against LGBT people.
While many people speak for Anonymous we have been told the group was largely against the release of the Linton Johnson photos, and that they are not planning any similar tactics (sexual images) in the future.
Some community leaders, such as La Mesha Irizarry of the Idriss Stelley Foundation are skeptical but had grave safety concerns for demonstrators. “A counter protest pinning commuters against protesters is itself a dangerous, unstable mix” said Irizarry.
The LGBT group had planned to demonstrate alongside the “Commuters Take Back Bart” group, which is still planning to demonstrate.
Lead organizers will be at the Civic Center in the event community members who aren’t aware of the cancellation show up to demonstrate.
[See Comments if you want the email address]
[UPDATE: I'm a little surprised that one irate person can get so much attention from the MSM before he's actually done anything. Linton Johnson's repeated, numerous, high-profile misstatements of law have ceased, for whatever reason [cough, when you’re on camera all the time you’re not always going to say the best thing, cough], so I don’t think that he’s the focus of anything anymore. Here’s one recent manifesto from one person – note that it has nothing to do with LGBT whatever. Note that it has 3000 (or, in the parlance of the day, over 9000) views already. How many followers does organizer Chris Andoe have to organize? We’ll see.]
[UPDATE II, Electric Boogaloo: Oh, I see, it's Linton's friends and acquaintances behind this. Makes sense now. Fair enough.]
[UPDATE III, Tokyo Drift:
"This is ridiculous, whoever told the GLBT community that Anonymous released photos of Linton is a flat out liar. Linton released them himself, perhaps they should be protesting outside of Linton's house."]
Let’s see here, it looks like Anonymous will have have a little competition at the next OpBART, which is OpBART III: Tokyo Drift coming up on August 29th, 2011.
So, get ready for two new factions competing with Anonymous for attention:
Throw in the newly-energized SFPD and the BART Police and this one could end up just like that historic Battle of the Five Armies.
Comes now website-free, non-BART rider Chris Andoe (who?) to say:
“Long before becoming Bay Area Rapid Transit’s chief spokesperson, Linton Johnson worked as a television reporter in St. Louis. In the late 90’s he was regularly seen dancing shirtless, with much fanfare, at the Complex.”
All right, how does this help us? It tells us that self-proclaimed Constitutional scholar Linton Johnson was not boning up the law back then, and maybe you’re reflexively defending your friend from Flyover Country, but that’s about all that we can learn from that.
Oh, and here’s the full quote, where a BART dude apologizes for recent statements:
“Linton is doing a great job,” Franklin said. “When you’re on camera all the time you’re not always going to say the best thing. Linton is doing a great job and it’s a tough job. So the organization is going to stand behind Linton.”
I’ll just say this: It wasn’t a group of hackers what posted those photos, it was one dude (who actually didn’t need to do any hacking) who posted those photos.
“I think the purpose was to humiliate him. the guy is the public face of bart. don’t pull the homophobe card just because he’s happens to be gay and embarrassing pics were leaked.”
All right, let’s see how many people actually show up on Monday at 5:00 PM. (There will be loads of media there regardless…)
UPDATE: KGO-TV is doing a good job with a live feed this afternoon, but it probably won’t be all that interesting after 6:00 PM PDT, August 22, 2011]
All right, let’s start with the Feds. In addition to the ongoing Federal Communication Commission’s probe into BART’s unprecedented actions on August 11th, 2011, we now have beloved* Congresswoman Jackie Speier** getting into the act.
“BART is learning a lesson that requires closer examination,” said Speier, who represents part of San Francisco and San Mateo County. “I believe BART needs to work harder to understand the ever-changing relationship between security and liberty. And to this end, we should replace finger-pointing with constructive dialogue that addresses security measures that go too far.”
Helloooo, BART? This isn’t a pat on the back, you know?
We’re not in Tahrir anymore, are we?
Via Artificial Eyes/exiledsurfer
Indeed, you now have a local Congresswoman, into addition bunches of other people, “bitching and complaining” about BART turning off its cell phone repeaters on August 11th.
“[BART's $170k per year spokesmodel Linton] Johnson’s exact words, as reported by the Bay Citizen, were: “It is an amenity. We survived for years without cellphone service … Now they’re bitching and complaining that we turned it off for three hours?”
So I guess the B-word is in the BART communications plan now? O.K. fine.
Hey, was that whole inchoate protest thing on August 11th just a test to see who’s an informant for the BART Police?
[Well, I had something here that was pretty much the whole point of this post - it had support for the idea that there was no protest planned. But I no longer have anything to link to. So oh well... :(]
Well, that’s plausible.
Via Artificial Eyes/exiledsurfer – click to expand
And here’s BART’s CYA letter from this AM, you know, for the record. It sounds quite different from Linton Johnson’s laughable misquotations of the law, exaggerations, spin, tall tales, whatever you want to call what we’ve been getting the past ten days. So that’s refreshing.
(Now when did the term “passengers” become “customers?” Does it sound better to say, “One of our poorly-trained ‘newbie’ officers once again just shot and killed yet another ‘customer’ unnecessarily,” as opposed to, you know, ‘passenger?’ I don’t know.)
Oh, and I should note the screed below has been signed by merely $160-per-hour, BART Lawyer*** for Life / “Interim Manager” Sherwood Glen Wakeman and supercracker / BART Director Bob Franklin (you know, the guy what represents the rich, lily-white Piedmont, Berkeley hills, and Oakland hills areas, among others.
(Of course, the following would be a stronger message if it had signatures of any of the other eight directors on it, but who knows how all those people feel…)
Anyway, die Postkarte vom Das Führerbunker:
BART’s top priority is to ensure the safety of its passengers. Prior to a planned protest on August 11, 2011, BART obtained credible information that led us to conclude that the safety of the BART system would be compromised. Out of an overriding concern for our passengers’ safety, BART made the decision to temporarily interrupt cell phone service on portions of its system. We are aware that the interruption had the effect of temporarily preventing cellular communications for many BART passengers and their families; and we regret any inconvenience caused by the interruption. We want to take this opportunity to share some of the information that led to this decision.
Imminent Threat of Unlawful and Dangerous Activities on BART Platforms
July 11 Protest
On July 11, a group gathered at the BART Civic Center Station in San Francisco to protest the fact that, on July 3, a BART Police Officer shot and killed Charles Hill at that station.
During that protest, one person climbed on top of a train and many other individuals blocked train doorways and held train doors open. During the course of the event, which occurred during the peak of rush hour, individuals used BART trains to move between stations, and caused the shutdown or partial shutdown of other stations.
These actions violated the law by creating a serious threat to the safe operation of the BART system, disrupting the service of 96 BART trains (approximately two-thirds of the trains operating during the rush hour), causing the closing of stations, and putting at risk the safety of thousands of passengers and BART employees.
When trains are not able to move or pick up passengers, the platforms can quickly become overcrowded. This is very dangerous due to the increased possibility that people will fall from the platforms onto the trackway. The trackway is five feet below the platform edge and contains the electrified 3rd rail.
Also, when one train stops, all trains behind it must stop. In some cases, trains must stop in tunnels, which delays the arrival of emergency medical help for passengers in need of assistance. Additionally, self-evacuation by passengers in underground tunnels is another potential dangerous outcome of interference with BART service.
Planned August 11 Protest
Early in the week of August 8, the BART Police Department received credible information that individuals were planning a surprise demonstration against BART police shootings at specific BART station platforms on August 11. On August 10, BART Police obtained further information regarding the individuals’ plans for color-coded teams to conduct lawless activity on the platforms. The additional information disclosed detailed organizational coordination among multiple “affinity groups” in addition to the organization that had sponsored the July 11 disruption.
The August 10 intelligence revealed that the individuals would be giving and receiving instructions to coordinate their activities via cell phone after their arrival on the train platforms at more than one station. Individuals were instructed to text the location of police officers so that the organizers would be aware of officer locations and response times. The overall information about the planned protest led BART to conclude that the planned action constituted a serious and imminent threat to the safety of BART passengers and personnel and the safe operation of the BART system, at a level that could far exceed the protest of July 11.
Based on that assessment, BART decided to interrupt cell phone service at targeted portions of its system for up to 4 hours, beginning at 4:00 p.m., the time that the individuals were scheduled to assemble. BART notified the affected cellular service providers shortly before it implemented the temporary interruption. Service was turned back on at 7 p.m., earlier than planned, when safety concerns abated.
At the affected portions of the BART system, there was no cellular service on the platform level, and service on the concourse level was also affected in some areas. Cellular service was fully available at the street level and at all above-ground BART stations and trackways.
BART took prudent measures to protect passengers during the time that cell phone service was unavailable. More than 120 extra BART uniformed Police Officers and Operations personnel carrying radios and wearing reflective vests were assigned to be in the four downtown San Francisco stations and on trains traveling between those stations. Additionally, passenger courtesy phones on the platform were available to provide direct communication with Station Agents. BART also has intercoms at each end of each train car, allowing passengers to contact the operator for assistance. No passenger emergencies were reported to BART during the period of the cellular service interruption.
First Amendment Issues
For more than 25 years, BART has had a policy regarding the exercise of First Amendment free speech rights in areas of its stations where it can be done safely and without interference with BART’s primary mission of providing safe, efficient and reliable public transportation services. To implement this policy, BART has designated the areas of its stations that are accessible to the general public without the purchase of tickets as unpaid areas that are open for expressive activity upon issuance of a permit subject to BART’s rules. To protect public safety and provide safe and efficient public transportation, BART has restricted access to the “Paid” and “Platform” areas of its stations to BART station employees and ticketed passengers who are boarding, exiting or waiting for BART trains.
BART’s temporary interruption of cell phone service was not intended to and did not affect any First Amendment rights of any person to protest in a lawful manner in areas at BART stations that are open for expressive activity. The interruption did prevent the planned coordination of illegal activity on the BART platforms, and the resulting threat to public safety.
BART’s Future Plans
At a special Board meeting on Wednesday, the Board will discuss the temporary interruption of cell service on portions of the BART system that occurred on August 11, and we invite the public to participate in this discussion.
Thank for your patience and we value your continued support.
Bob Franklin, BART Board of Directors President
Sherwood Wakeman, Interim General Manager”
All right, see you on Monday!
*She had a bet with her husband that she would get less than 80% of the vote (he was confident that she would get 80-something(!) percent) what ascended her to Congress for the rest of her life. She only got 79% of that vote, IIRC, so she won twice in one day.
**You know, the elected official that former KNTV weekend news anchor Linton Johnson didn’t give money to when he was working for that NBC affiliate. Was that against station policy? You Make The Call.
*** Currently inactive, BTW.
This prankster on Post Street can make a fake spider jump about you from two stories up.
Click to expand
(There must be a long string involved.)
These days you’re best off hanging out in Union Square, where the influential Bohemian Club has banned arachnids of all types.
As seen on Taylor Street:
Elements of the Survival Research Laboratories, a “performance art group” active in San Francisco, just got their prank on last night by changing a substantial portion of the street signs on Bush Street to “OBAMA,” in honor of the inauguration of our 44th President.
From END BUSH, at the end of Bush Street near Presidio (as seen last year):
To this, as seen in the cold light of day:
Click to expand.
[UPDATE: Apparently, someone speaking on behalf of the SFPD feels these alterations are not "life-threatening."]