As seen from the 101:
Reminded me of this.
As seen from the 101:
Reminded me of this.
“San Francisco history lovers:
A notice that’s a bit overdue: I haven’t recorded a podcast for years, now, and the chances that I’ll return to this project are slim.
That said, I’m committed to leaving ALL THESE PODCASTS online – as a resource for San Franciscans, of course, but also for lovers of this fascinating city from all around the world.
Peruse the list (over there on the right) for hours and hours of San Francisco stories, trivia, and history.
And thanks for listening!”
Per pirate-nurse Pat Mulkey:
“Kevin Spacey as Richard III was Incredible! Whole production blew me a-w-a-y.”
A standing ovation for cast and crew – the view from above the Grand Chandelier:
Click to expand
Spacey was sweating through his shirt from the end of the first act – he brought it.
And that thing at the very end, like what happens after his character dies, you know, with the thing? He’s still dominating the dojo.
And oh, Alan Scherstuhl offers his thoughts here – don’t miss that.
The stage as it looks today:
Click to expand
Remaining tickets are expensive, or for less-than-ideal seats, or both. (And, of course, you can always take your chances on the craigslist.)
But, you know, it’s Kevin Spacey after all. (Digging up my binoculars now, I’m srsly.)
See you there!
Well, this is going to be huge, that’s all I’m going to say…
Click to expand
The San Francisco Engagement of
Bank of America presents
THE BRIDGE PROJECT
Produced by BAM, The Old Vic, and Neal Street
DIRECTED BY SAM MENDES
FEATURING ACADEMY AWARD-WINNER
IN THE TITLE ROLE
Co-commissioned by and produced in association with Athens & Epidaurus Festival, Centro Niemeyer Spain, Hong Kong Arts Festival, Istanbul Theatre Festival (IKSV) & Istanbul Municipal Theatres, Kay & McLean Productions, Singapore Repertory Theatre and SHN – Carole Shorenstein Hays and Robert Nederlander.
Curran Theatre – October 19 – 29
SAN FRANCISCO (August 8, 2011)…. SHN is delighted to announce the arrival of RICHARD III by William Shakespeare, featuring Kevin Spacey and directed by Sam Mendes, coming to San Francisco this Fall. The Curran Theatre is the only U.S venue, other than BAM in New York, to host this landmark event. Tickets for RICHARD III go on public sale Friday, August 19.
Known for carefully curated Bay Area-only theater experiences, SHN is expecting the show to be a highlight of the 2011 season.
“This is a really big deal for us, and for San Francisco,” says Carole Shorenstein Hays. “People will recognize the combination of Spacey and Mendes from American Beauty; now they’re interpreting one of Shakespeare’s best-known plays for a modern audience. It should be an amazing experience.”
RICHARD III places San Francisco on a roster of 11 locations around the world that have been chosen to host the production, including: London, Epidaurus, Hong Kong, Aviles, Spain, Istanbul, Beijing, Singapore, Sydney and New York. The Bridge Project’s production of RICHARD III is currently playing to sold out crowds at London’s Old Vic Theatre.
See interviews and sneak peek of RICHARD III in London at http://www.youtube.com/user/
Ever more deets after the jump
Does your police station/area Captain/area Commander have its/his/her very own Twitter feed these days? If not, why not?
This is how the Richmond District Police Station does it, for example:
3/24@1115PM Victim on 38 Geary bus fell asleep listening to iPhone. She woke up when her music stopped. 4 perps took the phone & fled*
3/25@658AM Fulton@Park Presidio-car making right turn struck pedestrian in the X-walk. Ped taken to hospital by ambulance.
Now of course, there are others who got going last year and before, like Captain Ann Mannix in the Western Addition.
What about your police station? What’s it Twitter?
Geary Boulevard, the No Left Turn world champ:
What’s that, you don’t have a Twitter feed available for your area?
Well, why not? Ask for one, if you want.
*Or get a Microsoft Zune HD instead for like $100 – nobody will try to steal it, I can guarantee you that.
The San Francisco Department of Emergency Management is up early today, concerned about a possible small tsunami hitting San Francisco due to the recent 8.9 earthquake near Sendai, Japan.
“Officers have closed the Great Highway to vehicle traffic between Balboa and Skyline Blvd. Please avoid the area.”
And Mayor Edwin Lee will be at our Emergency Operations Center bright and early this A.M. as well.
This went out at 6:17 AM today:
“FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, March 11, 2011
Contact: Department of Emergency Management
*** PRESS RELEASE ***
SAN FRANCISCO CONTINUES TO MONITOR TSUNAMI WARNING
Precautionary Closure of Beaches and Great Highway
San Francisco, CA – The City and County of San Francisco continues to monitor the Tsunami warning issued this morning and is assessing risks to California Coastal areas. As a precaution, the Police Department has closed the upper and lower Great Highway and the National Park Service has closed Ocean Beach, Baker Beach, China Beach, and Fort Funston.
This is in response to the 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan, which caused a tsunami warning to be issued for the US West Coast, the San Francisco Department of Emergency Management (DEM) has activated the City’s Emergency Operations Center. DEM is currently in contact with the California Emergency Management Agency.
The City has not ordered an evacuation. Residents are advised to monitor local media for information updates.”
UPDATE: And here’s his statement:
Mayor Edwin M. Lee today issued the following statement regarding the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan:
“On behalf of the residents of the City and County of San Francisco, I extend our deepest condolences to the people of Japan and to the families and friends of those affected by the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck there today.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those whose lives have been impacted by this tragedy. I have contacted the Counsel General of Japan in San Francisco with our expression of sympathy and our willingness to join any international assistance effort.
We will continue to monitor the tsunami warnings that have been issued for the California coastal regions and act accordingly. This is a stark reminder to our City that we must always be prepared for the next disaster to ensure our families are safe.”
The biggest loser of the great 2009 Professor* Stephen Fowler Wife Swap Debacle has got to be one Richard Hanamura, ex Noe Valley. Why?
Well, ’cause bad reality TV played a role in aging Robert Hanamura losing his upstairs place at 479 Douglass ($850k? Sounds cheap.) in NIMBY Valley.
Let me tell you here, let’s say you’re a landlord in the 415 and you have some Hanamuras living upstairs that you want get rid of. Let’s say they’ve been there for donkey’s years, using an illegally-installed kitchen. Here’s how it go back in the day:
Landlord: Hello, City? There’s an octogenarian in my place using an illegal kitchen.
City: So what. Get bent.
Landlord: Japanese blood courses through his veins. His name is HA-NA-MU-RA.
City: We’re rolling the trucks right now! He’ll be imprisoned up in the high desert at Manzanar by tomorrow’s sunset.
“Anonymous disinterested party”: Hello, City? There’s an octogenarian living at 479 Douglass – his name is Hanamura. Japanese blood courses through his veins.
City: So what. Get bent. Who are you anyway, the landlord or someone working on his behalf?
ADP: No comment. I’m “anonymous.”
City: So what. Get bent, Anonymous.
ADP: He’s using an illegal kitchen. Or, at least that’s what I’ve been told…
City: We’re rolling the trucks right now! Well, maybe not, there’s some due process thing these days. But hey, why don’t you just throw him a few bucks and get him to leave voluntarily. Tell him that kitchen’s got to come out right now, and him too, sooner rather than later.
That’s your history lesson of the day.
Hey, why not head over to the SFGOV TV and start watching at 8:30, that’s 8 hours and 30 minutes into the recent Planning Commission joint. It’s a doozy. Who will win, the NIMBYs or arrogant Stephen Fowler and his flaky “I’m a healer and I release deep emotional wounds” wife or area NIMBYs?
Hey, who was the person who anonymously informed on illegal in-law resident Robert Hanamura?
Well, who have a reason to? He’d been peacefully living there for four decades, right?
Something to think about, huh?
Stephen Fowler’s 80 foot long “monster house,” as proposed:
I’m a Greenie! Supersize Me!
*Not really! Haha
Now people, no more of this:
“He is clearly an insecure man. Insecure about the very things for which he criticizes the “swap” wife. First, an advanced degree from the London School is hardly impressive in the venture capital world. Most VC’s have received their MBA’s from Harvard or Stanford and if you were able to gain admittance to either of those schools, you would never attend the London School. Second, he claims to have scored a 99.99% on the GRE. (BTW, not the standardized test for an MBA) The GRE only scores in even percentiles. For example, he would have not received a score that said 99.99 percentile (as he states in the video), but rather it would have said 99th percentile. Samll point, but character revealing. He calls himself a venture capitalist, but he is only a “venture partner.” Anyone in the venture world knows there is a big distinction. In San Francisco, he is a small fish who lacks impressive education and business credentials and from a career perspective, he has achieved relatively little. His wife has a bunch of “certificates,” an odd occupation, and is uncouth enough to apply for and agree to a role on a reality TV show. In San Francisco, they were most likely socially inferior even BEFORE their appearance on “Wife Swap.” I’m not a psychologist, but Stephen appears to be taking out his feelings of inadequacy on this woman. Kudos to her for keeping her dignity through it all.
That means that the planed MEGA NEW YEARS EVE 2011 won’t be all that mega:
But, the joint will still be open as a bar, so that’s some consolation.
All the deets, below.
San Francisco’s Happy Warrior isn’t too happy with the operators of 181 Eddy these days:
“Herrera upholds permit suspensions for violent Tenderloin nightclub over New Year’s Eve. Entertainment Commission suspended permits for ‘Suite 181’ for 48-hours because of escalating violence, public safety problems
SAN FRANCISCO (Dec. 31, 2010) — City Attorney Dennis Herrera today successfully defended the 48-hour suspension of entertainment and extended hours permits for a controversial Tenderloin nightclub over New Year’s Eve due to serious concerns about the escalating pattern of violence and public safety problems there. Lawyers for “Suite 181″ at 181 Eddy Street appeared at an emergency hearing in San Francisco Superior Court this afternoon to seek a Temporary Restraining Order against the City’s public safety suspension, which the Entertainment Commission issued yesterday. After a hearing that lasted almost two hours, Judge Richard A. Kramer issued a written ruling rejecting the club’s argument that the First Amendment prevented the City from protecting safety on New Year’s Eve. Judge Kramer held that the “rights claimed by plaintiffs are not absolute and are subject to reasonable restraints regulation in order to serve a public interest.”
“This case is about defending city officials’ duty to protect public safety when there is clear evidence for doing so,” said Herrera. “Suite 181 has required 190 police service calls in the preceding year alone, and the lawlessness and violence there have been escalating recently. The Entertainment Commission’s emergency permit suspension isn’t simply about protecting safety. It’s also about assuring fairness to the large majority of responsible entertainment venues that invest the resources necessary to keep their customers and neighborhoods safe. I applaud Judge Kramer for recognizing the serious responsibility San Francisco officials have to protect our residents and visitors.”
Herrera’s defense of the Entertainment Commission’s action, which was recommended by the San Francisco Police Department, relied on the significantly heightened risk of violent crime on New Year’s Eve, citing police estimates that San Francisco can expect at least 500,000 out-of-town visitors for the holiday. Additional evidence presented to the court established that the errant establishment had been responsible for 190 calls for service to police in the preceding year alone, including for incidents involving shootings, assaults, sexual battery and unlawful weapons possession. Lawyers for Herrera’s office argued that the Entertainment Commission was fulfilling its duty to protect public safety by suspending the club’s permits, citing Acting Executive Director Jocelyn Kane’s conclusion that “there is a substantial risk of a violent incident or other serious public safety problem occurring at Suite 181 on New Year’s Eve.” The operative period for the suspension upheld today is Dec. 31, 2010 at 3 p.m. through Jan. 2, 2011 at 3 p.m. Lawyers for the club have advised the City that the venue will be open until 2 a.m. as a bar only.
Related documents are available at http://www.sfcityattorney.org/.