Posts Tagged ‘sacramento bee’

“Nevada ‘patient dumping’ led to crimes–including a murder–Sacramento Bee reports”

Sunday, December 15th, 2013

The latest:

“Nevada ‘patient dumping’ led to crimes–including a murder–Sacramento Bee reports

San Francisco City Attorney suing Nevada over improper discharge, busing practices says news ‘confirms our worst fears: that some of these trips led to tragedies’

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — In a major follow-up story on the State of Nevada’s controversial psychiatric patient discharge and busing practices, which critics have called “patient dumping,” the Sacramento Bee today reported that dozens of the more than 1,000 patients the newspaper was able to identify went on to commit crimes in locales to which Nevada officials bused them.  Included among the crimes committed by patients discharged from the state-run Rawson Neal Hospital in Las Vegas were one murder, another attempted murder, detonating explosives in a grocery store, failing to register as a sex offender, and an apparent suicide.  The report is available online at http://sacb.ee/1dCtXve.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera, whose office is currently pursuing a class action lawsuit against Nevada on behalf of California local governments to which indigent psychiatric patients were improperly bused, issued the following statement in response to today’s new revelations.

“Earlier this year, federal auditors identified multiple instances in which Rawson Neal patients were clinically diagnosed as homicidal and suicidal–and yet were still bused within hours to remote destinations,” said Herrera.  “Today’s news from the Sacramento Bee’s investigative report confirms our worst fears: that some of these trips led to tragedies.  We know from federal audits that Nevada officials bused at least one patient who was diagnosed as homicidal to San Francisco.  We also know that their clinical records reflect nothing about where that patient would stay, or access mental health services once here.  I hope this report is wake-up call to local governments nationwide that they, too, may be paying a heavy price for Nevada’s reprehensible conduct.”

Auditors from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which is evaluating whether to revoke the hospital’s Medicare funding, included extensive reviews of Rawson Neal’s confidential clinical records.  Some of the resultant auditors’ reports, which have been released to the public, contain references to homicidal and suicidal patients whom Nevada officials discharged and bused out of state, including: the March 20, 2013 U.S. CMS Complaint Investigation; and the May 9, 2013 U.S. CMS EMTALA Complaint Investigation.  Both are among the records available for download on the San Francisco City Attorney’s website at http://sfcityattorney.org/index.aspx?page=519.

Herrera’s class action, filed in San Francisco Superior Court on Sept. 10, seeks a court-ordered injunction barring Nevada from similar patient discharge practices in the future, and reimbursement for San Francisco’s costs to provide care to the patients bused there.  If successful, San Francisco’s claim for reimbursement of the amounts expended to care for indigent patients bused from Nevada would benefit all California jurisdictions by setting a precedent for restitution to all jurisdictions able to demonstrate claims for damages and restitution substantially similar to San Francisco’s.  The suit additionally seeks injunctive relief that would apply statewide to prohibit Nevada from continuing to transfer non-residents into California without prior arrangements for patients’ care, or in a manner that violates state or federal standards governing patient discharges.

The case is: City and County of San Francisco v. State of Nevada et al., San Francisco Superior Court, filed Sept. 10, 2013.

SOURCE  City Attorney of San Francisco

City Attorney of San Francisco

Web Site: http://www.sfcityattorney.org

Jerry Brown Throws Down: He’s Already Accepted Ten Debate / Town Hall Invites

Monday, June 28th, 2010

California Attorney General Jerry Brown can’t abide billionaires like Meg Whitman trying to buy elections, or something like that, so he’s on a tear, once again, this afternoon. Remember when Jerry Brown issued a challenge to his Republican opponent  in the 2010 gubernatorial race?

Well, it looks like he’s not waiting for her. 

via Thomas Hawk

All the deets:

Brown Accepts 10 Debate Invitations, Calls on Whitman to Meet Face-to-Face

For Immediate Release
June 28, 2010

Oakland – Gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown today announced that he has accepted invitations to 10 debates or town halls around California, all sponsored by independent organizations interested in an open and honest campaign for Governor.

“We are only a few days into the general election campaign, and already our airwaves have been overrun with millions in misleading and deceptive attack ads,” Brown said. “The people of California deserve better. They deserve to see their choices for Governor stand side-by-side and honestly discuss the challenges facing our state.”

The morning after his victory in the Democratic primary, Brown proposed that he and Republican nominee Meg Whitman hold 10 joint town hall appearances around the state to discuss job creation, schools and the state’s budget mess and to answer questions from voters. Whitman refused Brown’s invitation to those jointly-planned events, but public interest groups and news organizations from around the state have stepped forward to offer the people a chance to see their candidates in person.

“Partisan bickering and attack-dog politics have created an awful mess in Sacramento, and I think Meg and I now have an opportunity to change the tenor of politics in California by conducting a responsible campaign that shows the politicians that there is a better way to do
business,” Brown said.

“Every one of these debates is hosted by a credible organization, guaranteeing a fair and open forum,” Brown continued. “There is no reason not to participate, no reason not to say what we really mean, and show the voters who we are.”

“I am calling on Meg Whitman to treat voters with the respect they deserve. It’s time to step out from behind consultant-scripted commercials full of falsehoods and distortions and debate.”

The two campaigns have received many formal requests for debates at locations around the state. Brown has agreed to ten, several others remain under active consideration. Brown accepted invitations for joint appearances from the following outlets, assuming reasonable terms that provide for open and fair discussion can be negotiated with the Republican nominee:

Faith Forum
July 31
 
CPR/KCRA/Univision/Sacramento Bee/UC Davis
September
 
CBS
TBA
 
KTVU/Chronicle/KQED
September 7
 
CalBuzz/Flash Report/Calitics/SJSU/Commonwealth Club
September 11
 
PPIC/CBA
October 5
 
Dominican University/NBC
October
 
La Opinion/KPCC
October
 
The Women’s Conference
October 26
 
ABC/League of Women Voters
TBA

Level the Playing Field 2010, the Anti Meg Whitman Campaign, Kicks Off

Tuesday, February 16th, 2010

It begins, the independent expenditure against the gubernatorial dreams of Margaret Cushing “Meg” Whitman begins, with a single radio ad.

Appears as if the former brand manager for Mr. Potato(e) Head and the Teletubbies is going to take a few more hits before all this is done.

But it’s your choice – you can sign up now for Meg’s site, or you can sign up with the anti-Meg site, complete with Facebook and Twitter pages (but, alas, nothing on the Google Buzz so far.) 

Trust Level the Playing Field 2010 to quickly direct you to new articles like Dan Walters’ “arrogant cowardice” bit in today’s Sacramento Bee:

“Running for or being governor of California is not the same thing as being the CEO of a multibillion-dollar corporation surrounded by sycophants. Ultimately, remaining in her cocoon will probably backfire. If Poizner cannot exploit her cowardice, Jerry Brown surely will.”

(Ouch.)

Choose or Lose, Vote or Die.