“August 20th, 2015:
SF Sheriff’s Statement: Quick Action by SFSD Sergeant Facilitates Resuscitation of Man Found Overdosed at SF City Hall
San Francisco, CA – Quick thinking on the part of a Sergeant in the San Francisco Sheriff’s Department (SFSD) saved the life of a man who was found unconscious and not breathing in a City Hall bathroom on Tuesday after an apparent drug overdose.
Sgt. J. Caramucci responded at about 11:30pm to a call from a facility custodian reporting that a man in his 30’s was unconscious in a bathroom stall. Sgt. Caramucci used a pocket knife to open the locked stall door and found the man unconscious, with a needle in his arm, and not breathing. He immediately called for paramedics, an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and assistance from deputy sheriffs. The man was resuscitated by paramedics who arrived on the scene within four minutes of the Sgt.’s call. The man was transported to a hospital.
A liquid substance found later at the scene tested positive for heroin.
“We’re proud of our deputies for their swift and effective work in this case,” said Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi. “Overdosing in City Hall couldn’t be more emblematic of a resurgent drug crisis hitting San Francisco. Heroin usage is way up and existing treatment centers are not enough. Nationwide, reports suggest that we’re looking at a burgeoning public health and public safety crisis.”