As seen at 6th Avenue and Fulton, more or less, The Skatin’ Place – the serious bidness of Having Fun:
Posts Tagged ‘Video’
Something New for 2015: Tech Bros Recording Themselves Performing Motorized Unicycle Tricks in Golden Gate ParkMonday, April 27th, 2015
SFPD Chief Stars in Brand-New Traffic Safety PSA – Obvious Tension with Bike Coalition – Die Hard Greg Suhr Gives Off a Bruce Willis VibeWednesday, April 8th, 2015
I’ll tell you, I saw a photo of Chief Greg in the papah’ the other week, and I thought Worst Bald Cap Ever. But this, this is much improved:
Now, if our SFPD wants to go Hollywood, they gotta realize they’re going to get reviews.
1. NOBODY’S GOING TO WATCH THIS PSA ON YOUTUBE. You got to give people a reason to pass along a link to their buds. We need virility, not virility, YKWIM? Perhaps people will be coerced into watching, IDK. Next time, have your people call my people and we’ll sex things up and your view counter will go from 150 (and yesterday when I saw this for the first time it was, suspiciously, at exactly 100) up into the millions. Oh what’s that, there were other reasons to make this vid, aside from having people watch it online? Oh yes, I can see that.
2. ALL THOSE CODE SECTIONS ARE TMI. I mean, even for me. Oh, those clips were for the benefit of students of Hogwarts SFPD? I could see that. They are well-made, and they show viewers how state laws are applied on the Streets of San Francisco. So that’s great.
3. CHECK OUT THE SECTION ON BIKES STARTING AT 3:15. So the fourth line on the graphic explaining 21202 was spoken by a different narrator? It sure seemed to be tacked on as an afterthought. This is an awkward edit right in touchy, touchy territory.
4. IT’S NICE HAVING TRAFFIC LAWS EXPLAINED BY A NEUTRAL SOURCE, AS OPPOSED TO GETTING MORE OF THE SAME FROM ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS. So we don’t have the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition talking about how pedestrians “always” having the right of way and we don’t have SFMTA spokesmodel Paul Rose spouting off misinformation (the way he does with the Chronicle, which unlike this YT clip, actually has an audience, so you see, I’m sort of saying that the SFMTA can’t claim its “No. 1 Goal Is Safety” if it has Paul Rose talking nonsense about countdown timers and the like).
5. ASIDE FROM ALL THAT, FIVE STARS OUT OF A POSSIBLE FIVE STARS.
ASSIGNMENT DESK: Write a bit about the obvious tensions betwixt the SFPD and advocacy groups like the SFBC and Walk SF. I’ll tell you, if this vid had been turned over to the SFBC to make for $100k under a no-bid contract, it would come off quite differently. And leave us remember that most ped and bike rider deaths in SF County last year were the fault of the peds and bike riders themselves, right? Just a skosh over 50%, per … the SFPD.
How Riding Market Street Amongst the Buses and Double-Parked Delivery Vehicles is Like the Arcade Game Dragon’s LairFriday, March 20th, 2015
Left and right and right and left – you have some choices to make. And you have to look out bike riders who chose not to choose and just stop where they are:
FLASHBACK: Watch a Young Jack Bauer Meet with Dennis Hopper in Front of City Lights Bookstore a Quarter-Century AgoMonday, March 2nd, 2015
[UPDATE: Extended Dance Version here – I’m afraid this has become an earworm.]
The film Flashback had bad reviews for the most part, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying 25 year old footage from a pre-streetscaped,* pre-SFMTA* North Beach:
You see, at the beginning Jack Bauer was the uptight one and Dennis Hopper was the hippie – that’s the whole movie.
And it’s the later version of Big Audio Dynamite doing the audio – quite bouncy with plenty of orchestra hits and Rolling Stones samples.
Oh, and note the old-school MUNI bus at 0:03 in the window reflection…
*AND THAT WAS THE WAY WE LIKED IT!
“If I do what I wanted
I just don’t have the time
I want to ride my motorcycle
Into the sunshine
My tv is laughin’
Makin’ me feel small
Like I’m sad in a cell
All I can is these walls
And I never want to see another shopping mall
To be what I will
I’ll keep it up till
Or I won’t have nothing at all
This is my life
I’m livin it, I will pay
But why should I care about all that today
I need a head start
And I don’t want to stall
Gonna take a bulldozer to break down the walls
And I never want to see another shopping mall
And I know ’bout all the graveyards
Tumble-down farms and shacks
I’ve gotta get out on the highway
And I’m not comin’ back
There’s a small town in the mountains where I’ll do my thing
It’s this Credit Card Livin’ I find Stifling
I wanna see the river turning into the falls
Been down for so long now I wanna stand tall
So I’m packing my belongings and fear into my hold-all
And I never wanna see another Shopping Mall
Once we get out of the 80’s the 90’s are gonna make the 60’s look like the 50’s
Woah! Whew! I aint had a rush like that since the Berkeley Riots!
It should be kicking in by now
Ugh. I actually got him.
Here you go:
I guess this is a thing on the Streets of San Francisco…
I just can’t tell if the pedicab driver is making some kind of statement or just efficiently keeping the sun, the burning sun, we hates it forever, off of his noggin…
The Dashcams of Taiwan: Incredible Video of the Crash of Transasia Flight GE235 – Sullenberger-Style River Landing Saves Some Lives?Wednesday, February 4th, 2015
Nothing goes unrecorded by the car dash cams of Taiwan:
TransAsia Airways Flight 235 looks to have lost a lot of power from its left engine. But assuming that the propeller blades of the failing engine were feathered to lessen drag, there’s no reason why a properly-loaded ATR 72 shouldn’t have been able to climb out to a safe altitude using the remaining engine.
There appears to be a lot of data recorded on this crash, so they mystery should be solved soon…
Oh No, Hollywood Attacks SF Once Again: “PIXELS” Coming July 24th – Golden Gate Bridge in Jeopardy, Again – Sandler!Thursday, January 22nd, 2015
This PIXELS movie looks absolutely dreadful already:
I decided that PIXELS will be a horrible movie after seeing this teaser poster and then reading about 14 words into this description:
When aliens misinterpret video-feeds of classic arcade games as a declaration of war, they attack the Earth using the games as models for their various assaults. President William Cooper (Kevin James) calls upon his childhood best friend, former 1980s video game champion Sam Brenner (Adam Sandler), who is now a home theater installer and had a previous relationship with William’s wife (Jane Krakowski) to lead a team of old-school arcaders (Peter Dinklage and Josh Gad) to defeat the aliens and save the planet.
So, Pac-Man attacking the GGB + Adam Sandler + 3D + 95% Want To See = HORRIBLE.
Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen.