I’ll tell you, back in the day I didn’t have the cable TV. So my bud would tape MTV’s Real World San Francisco and then people would come over to watch it on VHS cassette on the “big screen” TV, a 27″ Sony Trinitron.
I’ll tell you, RWSF was a BFD back in ’94. It was the talk of the town. These people were all over the place. (Poor MTV – they were shocked at how hard it was to get area bar owners and the like to agree to allow entry for taping the show.) Anyway, it looked like this:
So that was then, but this is now. It’s Rachel, all growed up with seven kids? Jeez. And she’s a member of the Congressional Wives Foundation? Wow. So that’s why…
…she was able to introduce Scott Walker at his kickoff. Check it. Via The Gist.
The way our SFMTA has this intersection set up now is that joggers only have about 7 seconds to start crossing Masonic during a 75 second signal cycle. Assuming they don’t purposefully speed up or slow down to catch their green, that means they have less than a 10% chance of not encountering a red signal for crossing. Human nature being what it is, people jog across against the light and the resulting accident is the jogger’s fault. Check it:
Anyway, that’s why so many people are getting hit by cars at this intersection.
For whatever reason, the SFPD isn’t motivated to enforce the CA Vehicle Code upon peds, so this is the result.
If you believe in ped safety, you’d be in favor of a ped enforcement action here, to learn the joggers. OTOH, if you get paid to promote ped “rights,” then you’d disfavor a ped enforcement action here – you’d bend over backwards to displace blame. I mean, these peds aren’t “mistakenly” jaywalking, they’re doing it on purpose, right?
I’ll tell you, I saw a photo of Chief Greg in the papah’ the other week, and I thought Worst Bald Cap Ever. But this, this is much improved:
Now, if our SFPD wants to go Hollywood, they gotta realize they’re going to get reviews.
1. NOBODY’S GOING TO WATCH THIS PSA ON YOUTUBE. You got to give people a reason to pass along a link to their buds. We need virility, not virility, YKWIM? Perhaps people will be coerced into watching, IDK. Next time, have your people call my people and we’ll sex things up and your view counter will go from 150 (and yesterday when I saw this for the first time it was, suspiciously, at exactly 100) up into the millions. Oh what’s that, there were other reasons to make this vid, aside from having people watch it online? Oh yes, I can see that.
2. ALL THOSE CODE SECTIONS ARE TMI. I mean, even for me. Oh, those clips were for the benefit of students of Hogwarts SFPD? I could see that. They are well-made, and they show viewers how state laws are applied on the Streets of San Francisco. So that’s great.
3. CHECK OUT THE SECTION ON BIKES STARTING AT 3:15. So the fourth line on the graphic explaining 21202 was spoken by a different narrator? It sure seemed to be tacked on as an afterthought. This is an awkward edit right in touchy, touchy territory.
4. IT’S NICE HAVING TRAFFIC LAWS EXPLAINED BY A NEUTRAL SOURCE, AS OPPOSED TO GETTING MORE OF THE SAME FROM ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS. So we don’t have the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition talking about how pedestrians “always” having the right of way and we don’t have SFMTA spokesmodel Paul Rose spouting off misinformation (the way he does with the Chronicle, which unlike this YT clip, actually has an audience, so you see, I’m sort of saying that the SFMTA can’t claim its “No. 1 Goal Is Safety” if it has Paul Rose talking nonsense about countdown timers and the like).
5. ASIDE FROM ALL THAT, FIVE STARS OUT OF A POSSIBLE FIVE STARS.
The film Flashback had bad reviews for the most part, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying 25 year old footage from a pre-streetscaped,* pre-SFMTA* North Beach:
You see, at the beginning Jack Bauer was the uptight one and Dennis Hopper was the hippie – that’s the whole movie.
And it’s the later version of Big Audio Dynamite doing the audio – quite bouncy with plenty of orchestra hits and Rolling Stones samples.
Oh, and note the old-school MUNI bus at 0:03 in the window reflection…
*AND THAT WAS THE WAY WE LIKED IT!
“If I do what I wanted I just don’t have the time I want to ride my motorcycle Into the sunshine
My tv is laughin’ Makin’ me feel small Like I’m sad in a cell All I can is these walls And I never want to see another shopping mall
[Chorus:] Oh Free To be what I will Oh Free I’ll keep it up till I’m Free Or I won’t have nothing at all (End Chorus)
This is my life I’m livin it, I will pay But why should I care about all that today I need a head start And I don’t want to stall Gonna take a bulldozer to break down the walls And I never want to see another shopping mall
And I know ’bout all the graveyards Tumble-down farms and shacks I’ve gotta get out on the highway And I’m not comin’ back There’s a small town in the mountains where I’ll do my thing It’s this Credit Card Livin’ I find Stifling I wanna see the river turning into the falls Been down for so long now I wanna stand tall So I’m packing my belongings and fear into my hold-all And I never wanna see another Shopping Mall Shopping Mall
(Flashback Soundbyte) Once we get out of the 80’s the 90’s are gonna make the 60’s look like the 50’s
(Flashback Soundbyte) Woah! Whew! I aint had a rush like that since the Berkeley Riots!
(Flashback Soundbyte)x4 It should be kicking in by now
Nothing goes unrecorded by the car dash cams of Taiwan:
TransAsia Airways Flight 235 looks to have lost a lot of power from its left engine. But assuming that the propeller blades of the failing engine were feathered to lessen drag, there’s no reason why a properly-loaded ATR 72 shouldn’t have been able to climb out to a safe altitude using the remaining engine.
There appears to be a lot of data recorded on this crash, so they mystery should be solved soon…