Our Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio is celebrating one year of operations with a weekend of fun including the debut of the half-price Saturday Night Soiree (avec cash bar!) program.
I’m telling you, you’re going to want to win the treasure hunt.
Get all the deets below.
The WDFM is fantastic. See?
Click to expand
This is just one of the Academy Awards on display. Can you guess the movie?
Donald Duck in his Navy Whites Marine Corps Blues during WWII. Can you see Mickey back there working as a tank commander against The Hun?
I remember how Building 104 looked back in the day. (If only all of the Montgomery Street (Presidio) Barracks could get eight figures worth of attention.)
All the deets:
THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM TO CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY OCTOBER 1-3, 2010
Live music, the “Where’s Walt?” Treasure Hunt Contest and a Saturday Night Soiree are among the events that will commemorate the first 365 days of San Francisco’s newest Museum.
SAN FRANCISCO September 2, 2010 —When it opened a year agoin the Presidio of San Francisco, The Walt Disney Family Museum welcomed visitors to a turn-of-the-century red brick building that revealed a visually dramatic surprise: ten interactive galleries that share the remarkable life and legacy of Walt Disney through early drawings and animation, movies, music, listening stations, and much more. In the months that have followed, the award-winning 40,000 square foot building, which also features a state-of-the art theater, café, and gift store, has been host to enthusiastic visitors from around the world.
“It’s hard to believe that a year has passed since we opened our doors in the Presidio,” said Richard Benefield, founding executive director of the Museum. “Our efforts to present the life and achievements of Walt Disney in an interactive and imaginative way are ongoing and we’re pleased to see families, teens, and seniors all enjoying different elements of the Museum.”
To celebrate its first anniversary, the Museum will host a weekend of family fun and festivities from October 1 to 3, and will extend its admission hours to 9:00 pm on Saturday, October 2.
Events on Friday, October 1 – Sunday, October 3, 2010
· Live Music throughout the weekend. Bring a picnic lunch for the front lawn and we’ll serenade you with ragtime jazz. Friday from 2 :00 pm – 5:00 pm and Saturday 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
· Our first Saturday Night Soiree. Half-price on Museum Admission tickets and a cash bar from 6 pm to 9 pm on Saturday night.
· The “Where’s Walt?” Treasure Hunt Contest – Grand Prize is a Private Screening of a Disney classic for you and up to 50 of your closest friends in our Theater.
· Learn more about Walt Disney and his legacy with our “LOOK CLOSER” gallery talks. Museum staff will share details about the visually dramatic “Steamboat Willie” Wall – our special Pinocchio Animator’s desk – and the first underwater movie camera.
· A 25 minute “Best of” Video in our theater will feature special guests who appeared this past year, including Disney Legends, executives, animators, and stars.
· Radio Disney Road Crew on Saturday from 1:00 – 3:00 pm with games, contests, and music for the whole family.
· Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – A treat for the whole family on our Big Screen at 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm (Free with Museum Admission).
· Create your own moviola in our Learning Center. New Drop-in Craft activities Friday, Saturday and Sunday 11 am to 4 pm.
The fascinating and inspiring story of Walt Disney, whose artistry, imagination and vision helped define 20th-century America, has been brought to life at The Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio of San Francisco. The Museum illuminates Walt Disney’s tremendous successes, disappointments, and unyielding optimism as he worked tirelessly to advance the art of animation, produce classic motion pictures and develop the first great American theme park. The Walt Disney Family Museum, L.L.C. is owned and operated by the Walt Disney Family Foundation, a non-profit foundation. Open Wednesday – Monday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on the on the Main Post of the Presidio.
Where: The Walt Disney Family Museum
104 Montgomery Street, The Presidio of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94129
Main Phone: 415-345-6800